Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Uploading a Track

Subject:Uploading a Track 

ChrisM

8:46
Monday
22-Jul-2013

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

Hi,
Maybe this is already possible, but if not, could this be a feature request.
One of the main things I use TNJ for is recording tracks of cycles, walks, drives etc. What I then usually do is export it to the memory card, copy to my PC, and then upload onto the TMJ website. It would be good if there was a way to upload the track direct from the phone onto the website in my choice of formats (as offered when I export the track.
I know about the auto track feature, that saves the points to the website as you go, but an option to save the currently loaded track directly to the website would be useful to me. I could then also load up old tracks that I had previously saved to the phone, and upload them to the TMJ website as well.

Cheers,

Chris.

Stephen

12:02
Monday
29-Jul-2013

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Chris,

I did consider this when originally adding the Import Track code to TMJ, however the whole feature was really a bit of a fudge (I never intended to have any track importing functions on the phone at all so it was added as an afterthought), which would cause potential issues when importing tracks whilst Enable Web was already set, causing weird/corrupted tracks to appear on the website. As a result I specifically disabled the uploading of imported tracks and to be honest I don't see a particular need to change this (from a time/benefit point of view).

Depending on your phone (screen size/browser compatibility etc), you could try uploading the tracks direct to the website from your phone. There is a low-graphics version of the main site: login to www.trackmyjourney.co.uk/mobile on your phone then use the 'Full TMJ Website with Limited Graphics' link. The Upload pages will then be accessible - a bit fiddly, but may do the job...

Cheers,
Stephen

ChrisM

13:10
Monday
29-Jul-2013

Phone Model:

Hi Stephen, I think you mis-understood my question. Maybe I didn't explain myself very well, or maybe I just mis-understood your answer...

What I want to do is at the end of my (say) walk, SAVE the track my phone has just created back to the website so that it appeared in the track folders (on the website)

Cheers,

Chris.

Stephen

13:34
Monday
29-Jul-2013

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Oh right...

In that case just Enable Web at the end of the walk. The entire track as just recorded will then be uploaded in one go (will take several 'transmissions' so give it a minute or two to complete).

Its exactly the same as the Auto Track process you mentioned in the first question, so I'm a bit confused!! ;-)

ChrisM

9:22
Tuesday
30-Jul-2013

Phone Model:

Hi Stephen,

What it was, I have recently been on holiday, and we went out most days for a walk or a cycle, and each day I had recorded a track of our meanderings. At the end of the week, I wanted to load all of the tracks onto the computer. I had also forgotton to 'Enable Web' so the tracks were not automaticlly uploaded to the website. I had however, saved each days track onto the phones memory card. but had forgotton to bring any means of easily connecting my phone or memory card to the laptop so that I could copy the files onto the computer. In the end, I just waited until I got home and had access to my cables and connectors again. Just wondered in the future if there was a way of uploading a previously saved track to the website.

Cheers,

Chris.

Stephen

13:03
Tuesday
30-Jul-2013

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Chris,

Mmmm... we're maybe going round in circles a bit here!! ;-)

I think perhaps my first answer above was replying to the right question after all... its just that this can't be done from TMJ itself on the phone, but can be done via the phones browser.

As I mentioned, try logging into the website from the phone, then navigate to the UPLOAD pages (as you would otherwise need to do from a computer once the saved tracks have been transferred via USB). The Browse button should then allow the track to be selected directly from the memory card and uploaded to the site (but albeit a little fiddly, as mentioned).

Cheers,
Stephen

ChrisM

15:23
Tuesday
30-Jul-2013

Phone Model:

Hi Stephen,

Ok, sorry, I think I've been a bit dense here!! :)

I understand what you are saying now.

So quick answer, no you can't do it direct from the TMJ app, but a work around is to access the TMJ website via the phones browser and up load the tracks that way.

Fair enough. I'm not sure how the very ancient phone I use for TMJ will handle the website, but I'll give it a try. Sorry if I've confused things a bit with this, but I'm ok now!!

Cheers,

Chris.

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)