Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Simple question about uploading KML file to Google...

Subject:Simple question about uploading KML file to Google Earth - Solved 

ranchodoug

22:42
Thursday
8-Mar-2012

Phone Model:
Blackberry 9930

I hate to ask a simple question, but haven't been able to find a solution here or via general google search.

I had TMJ create a .KML file for a simple test case of about 50 track points. The KML file looks just fine - the structure looks great and the lat/long/elev numbers appear correct.

However, when loaded into Google Earth it shows up as 1,575,281 miles long and is wrapped part way around the equator.

I must be doing something wrong.

Any suggestions how to get the file to load correctly?

Thanks,

Doug

Stephen

12:50
Friday
9-Mar-2012

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Doug,

Thats sounds really odd! I can't think why it should do this - are you absolutely sure all the lat/lng coordinates are correct? If so I guess it might be a Google Earth bug (though its probably more likely a problem with TMJ)!! Any chance you could email me the file (just reply to your registration email) and I'll see if I can see whats causing it...

By the way, were you exporting from TMJ on the phone or the website?

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen

20:40
Friday
9-Mar-2012

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Doug,

Thanks for sending the KML file...

I opened it directly from the email and lo and behold it displayed fine in Google Earth here!

However, I then updated Google Earth to the latest version (I was running v6.1.something I think, its now v6.2.1.6014). On then attempting to reload the KML file it now screws up, just like you found yourself. So for once I think this is a Google bug rather than TMJ!

On further investigation it seems that GE now doesn't like the spaces between the coordinates, so for example where TMJ saves the coords as:
lng, lat, alt
lng, lat, alt
lng, lat, alt
etc...

This should now be:
lng,lat,alt lng,lat,alt lng,lat,alt etc...

I have updated the website to reflect the change so this should now work again (click the Google Earth icon on the Track Info page to view a track). I will update TMJ-Mobile on the phone for the next release...!

Cheers,
Stephen

ranchodoug

20:48
Friday
9-Mar-2012

Phone Model:
Blackberry 9930

Stephen,

Thanks!

I was experimenting with a KML tutorial (https://developers.google.com/kml/documentation/kml_tut), loaded in my lat/long/alt, and came to the same conclusion. I was going to post here but you beat me to the punch. It's for sure a google earth bug.

Doug

MrTom

18:33
Saturday
10-Mar-2012

I take the GPX file created by TMS and convert it to a KML using GPS Visualizer. Clicking on the file link provided by GPS Visualizer opens in Google Earth. Using the latest version of Google Earth for a hike on 09 Mar 12 , it open correctly without any issues.

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map_input?form=googleearth

ranchodoug

1:56
Wednesday
14-Mar-2012

Phone Model:
Blackberry 9930

Stephen,

Can you change the Subject: line to something like: "Simple question about uploading KML file to Google Earth. Solved: Google Earth no longer likes spaces in lat/long coordinates."?

Doug

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)