Forums / General Topics / Use Speed/Bearing from GPS

Subject:Use Speed/Bearing from GPS 

marcopecenca

17:54
Tuesday
6-Sep-2011

Phone Model:
Sonim XP3300 Force

Hi, I have a Sonim XP3300 Force (internal gps), I would like to know if I must check this option or not.

Stephen

18:25
Tuesday
6-Sep-2011

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Marco,

This setting is entirely optional, when it is ticked then the displayed speed and bearing are taken straight from the data supplied from the GPS (whether internal or external). When it is disabled the speed/bearing are calculated on-the-fly based on the time/distance between the current location and one recorded a few seconds previously.

The reason for this is that in the past I found that the speed/bearing given by some GPS devices (particularly older/cheaper ones) could be a bit too sensitive, with spikes and odd readings caused by the location fix jumping around when in poorer signal locations. By calculating the figures from trackpoints spaced a little way apart I figured this should smooth the readings out somewhat, although is does make them slightly slower to update as you accelerate/change direction, etc.

On the whole I now tend to leave this ticked (GPS devices have generally improved since I started writing TMJ), and I'd guess the Sonims GPS is probably quite good so you might want to do the same...

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Stephen

xuxin

7:50
Thursday
7-Jun-2012

Hi, Marco

I just bought an XP3300 like you and install the TMJ. But my XP3300 cannot find the GPS signal. I saw that you worked well with the TMJ and XP3300. I want to know what is the TMJ version that you installed and are there any special setting of TMJ for XP3300?

I installed 2 version:

Generic MIDP2.0/CLDC1.1, Standard (JAR): can run but cannot find GPS signal, I just can find Bluetooth GPS in GPS setting.

Generic MIDP2.0/CLDC1.1, With JSR-179 Internal GPS (JAR):Cannot run after install. Display "unsupported MIDlet".

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)