Subject:erratic connection to GPS 

julianmarks

10:39
Monday
6-Jun-2011

Phone Model:
Blackberry Torch

Hi
I've only been using this app for a week or so and found it excellent so, a few days ago, I purchased the full version. Since then I am getting erratic dropout from GPS. I am using a Blackberry Torch 9800 and have been fiddling with various settings to get the application working properly. I wonder if I need to modify the settings? I don't believe there is a problem with the GPS in the phone as when I use Blackberry maps, my exact location is identified within seconds. I've tried rebooting the application several times and also rebooted the phone to ensure all is OK.
Can you help?

Stephen

12:49
Monday
6-Jun-2011

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Julian,

Check that the Menu/GPS/GPS Options are set as follows for the BB Torch:
- Allow Costs: TICK
- Basic Connection: UNTICK
- Force 1 Sec Refresh: TICK
(the remaining options aren't important)

I'm using a BB Torch as well (on Vodafone UK), and haven't had any major problems with the GPS at all...??

(Incidentally, I think BlackBerry Maps uses cell-tower triangulation if it can't get a GPS fix, so it can *seem* as if it has your location, but might not be using the GPS to arrive at it)

Cheers,
Stephen

julianmarks

12:42
Friday
17-Jun-2011

Phone Model:
Blackberry Torch

Thanks Stephen.
Things were getting pretty bad on my Blackberry Torch with all keys freezing when I was running TMJ so in the end I deleted the application, upgraded the Torch to the latest firmware version (6.0 bundle 2475 v6.0.0.546) and reinstalled TMJ. I setup caching to a 32GB SD card and now everything works fine. It perfectly tracked a journey I made by bike on 15th June.
After logging into the TMJ website however, I noted that this journey wasn't logged in "My Account". Is there a reason this journey may not have been tracked? Am I missing a setting?
Cheers

Stephen

21:32
Friday
17-Jun-2011

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Julian,

Glad to hear TMJ has been running better since the firmware upgrade. (Incidentally I've also upgraded my own Torch to this firmware too, though oddly I've found using a bluetooth GPS is slightly less stable than the previous firmware, go figure!!)

I've had a look at your online account and think I've spotted the problem. When uploading to the website, a new track 'file' is only created on the site when there is a gap of at least 1 hour between the current and previous upload. If you leave TMJ running in the background then the recorded points will all be added to the same track. ie it doesn't automatically start a new track at midnight. Therefore, have a look at your recorded 'Auto-Track (Sat 11th Jun 2011)' - this has data covering 3 or 4 days including some activity on the 15th. This can be edited via the Track/DATA page - select a track point and choose the 'Split into Separate Tracks' option (you'll need to do this a few times as its quite a messy track at the moment!).

To prevent this happening in future keep in mind the following:

- don't leave TMJ running for long periods in the background - when stationary you'll just end up with a cloud of noisy points anyhow. You need to use the Menu/Exit function to cleanly exit (pressing the Red 'Hangup' button just puts TMJ in the background).

- on starting TMJ clear the current track so that you start afresh. Use the [*] key or touchscreen shortcut mentioned in the other thread to do this quickly...

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Stephen

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)