Subject:Microsoft Virtual Earth 

yano

17:36
Wednesday
18-May-2011

Phone Model:
SE K610i

Hi Stephen!

The Microsoft Virtual Earth 3D doesn't work anymore (at least on my PC, from at home, no firewall/proxy) ...

when I click on the [3D] button nothing happens, i.e. the map stays in 2D and no error message is displayed.

Any clue?

btw, what about to use the Google Earth plug-in instead?!

Cheers,
yano

Stephen

17:52
Thursday
19-May-2011

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Yano,

Must admit I'd never actually used the VE 3D stuff before now (I usually only use the OSM map view), but it seems to work okay here. It asked to install the Bing Maps 3D plugin or something the first time I switched to the 3D view - did you get this prompt? It now displays the track on a (Google Earth-like) 3D terrain view, which looks pretty good.

Not sure why its stopped working for you, I've tried it in IE8 and Firefox4 on WinXP, maybe try installing the plugin again (I think this is the installer page).

For the Google Earth plugin, it looks like this would need a fair bit of recoding of the mapping web pages, which seems a bit fiddly at the moment - its nice that the Bing 3D maps work with existing 2D web pages! ;-) You could otherwise just use full Google Earth instead - click the KML link icon on the Device/Folder page...

Cheers,
Stephen

yano

9:56
Saturday
21-May-2011

Phone Model:
SE K610i

Hi Stephen!

Thanks for your tests and hints!

Actually it was clear to me that it is not a problem related to TMJ but rather to the Microsoft plug-in ...

I've tried to re-install it but it fails all the time: maybe it conflicts with Google Earth ... :)

Anyway, your hint to use the kml link instead works perfectly - thanks.

Cheers,
yano

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)