Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Vector Maps

Subject:Vector Maps 

ChrisM

11:58
Tuesday
1-Mar-2011

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

Hi,

I know I could suss this out with a little bit of experimenting, but if you could let me know how it's supposed to work...
If I have my phone with 'Web' enabled, and I'm moving around an area where the vector maps have NOT been pre-cached. Does TMJ only download tiles while the screen-page (4 or 5?) is active, or does it do it even if another screen-page (say screen 1) is active, or even if the screen has switched off???

PS - I like what you've done with the account login/user homepage on the website!

Cheers,

Chris.

Stephen

13:49
Tuesday
1-Mar-2011

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Chris,

The map downloads are only triggered when a tile needs to be displayed on screen, so if you switch to a non-map screen then the downloading will cease (once any current tile downloads have completed).

Also, as you mention, if the screen backlight goes off then this *may* also stop them from downloading, but this depends on the individual phone. Some phones continue to send 'display refresh' requests to apps even when the display goes off, whereas others don't (which is more logical in my opinion) - go figure!!

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Stephen

(Yeah, I figured it was about time I put something on the otherwise-blank My Account page. Still need to fine-tune it though...)

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)