Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / BT GPS recomendation

Subject:BT GPS recomendation 

LeCoux

5:58
Friday
21-Jan-2011

What Bluetooth receiver should I buy. I have Garmin GPS10 and its working fine. Downside of it that it is expensive to buy.
I need second set with my SE phone. Looking on Ebay I found EMTAC MINI S3 BLUETOOTH GPS RECEIVER and GLOBALSAT BT359 BLUETOOTH GPS RECEIVER. Anyone tried one of this devices? Thanks.

ChrisM

9:35
Friday
21-Jan-2011

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

Hi,

It\'s been a while since I looked at what is available in \'cheap\' bluetooth GPS receivers, but cetainly a few years ago, there was not a huge amount of difference between the various choices in the 20-30 pounds sort of price range. It seemed (then at least) anything that used the SIRF III chipset was pretty good. I believe there is a SIRF IV chipset available now, but I have no idea what the differences or improvements are.
Several years ago, I bought a GLOBALSAT BT-338 (or at least an OEM version of one) and that is still going strong. It seems to get a good strong signal, usually even in wooded or built up areas. The best thing about this unit AFAIC is that the battery lasts about 10 hours, so it will keep going for a good days cycling or walking between charges.
If you can find one of these still, I\'d recommend it, or maybe with a bit of research, look for whatever has probably superceded it (maybe your BT359??), which may be even better...(?)
I\'d say certainly you don\'t need to spend more than 20 or 30 quid, and possibly less.

Regards,

Chris.

PS - All of the above applies to the UK. Not sure where you are from, but I guess prices and available would be similar in most countries.

Stephen

19:00
Friday
21-Jan-2011

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi,

Yep, Chris said it all really! I do actually have the BT359 myself and have found it to be very reliable with good battery life. Its not always the quickest to get an initial fix and I tend now to use it as a backup to my GlobalTop \'touch\' G66 (with its terrible battery, but good signal - I think it uses a different chipset, MTK perhaps), but I\'d still definitely recommend it!

Cheers,
Stephen

(Note to self... need to fix the weird \' marks that are cropping up on the new server hardware!)

MrTom

1:13
Monday
24-Jan-2011

I have had excellent results with the external Freedom2000 connected to a Blackberry.

Attaches to a keychain, quick GPS connection, battery lasted for a 10 hour drive, charges via usb and to my surprise continued to track as I walked about in a Super Walmart.

http://www.freedominput.com/freedom-accessories/keychain-gps-2000

LeCoux

12:55
Wednesday
26-Jan-2011

Thanks a lot 4 help.

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)