Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Where are Waypoints,Tracks and Routes stored?

Subject:Where are Waypoints,Tracks and Routes stored? 

MrTom

18:52
Friday
5-Nov-2010

I saw a previous post of someone loading 5000+ plus traffic signal way points.

In experimenting using the Map Cache function on the phones SD card , it appeared that the way points ,tracks and routes I had in the phones internal memory were not transferred to the SD card.

Am I correct in thinking that this information is always stored on in the phones memory? Is there a method I have not found to have this data stored on the SD card?

Use of my phones internal memory is something I have to watch carefully.

Thanks,

Stephen

21:49
Friday
5-Nov-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Yes, the track, route and waypoints are always stored in the phone memory irrespective of the map cache settings - they don't generally require much memory, so this shouldn't be a problem. (The Help/About... menu gives an estimate of how much storage is needed for each of these).

In general I'd only recommend using up to perhaps a few hundred waypoints at a time - I've not exhaustively tested TMJ with handling 1000s at a time. By using the online waypoint syncing you can store more waypoints on the site, and then just sync, say, the nearest 10km when out and about (assuming you're in mobile coverage).

The full version allows the waypoints, route and track to be imported/exported to the memory card, although this would be fiddly if used simply as a way to reduce the internal memory storage...!

Cheers,
Stephen

MrTom

23:50
Friday
5-Nov-2010

The 5000+ waypoints was an example that hopefully I will not approach. I am more interested in what is actually happening when I use the TMJ software and want to be aware of the potential consequences. One issue I have to watch for is the automatic track recording with TMJ. I am planning a extensive driving trip of about 10-12 hours per day and not sure what memory usage this with result in on a daily basis. Yet, I want to use TMJ for its waypoint notification feature. If necessary I will just have to clear out the recorded tracks at periodic stops. Wish they was away to disable the automatic tracking feature.

On line syncing is nice in theory but not practical in many situations. Great for large cities but not in rural and back country areas. This is probably not an issue in Europe except for the high mountain areas. My phone provider, T-Mobile, gives service mostly along USA Interstates. Venture off the main highway a few miles and connections are lost. In addition, I cannot receive cell or internet connections in most areas that I off-road and hike. Emergency communications are an issue and we have to use extreme care and caution on our explorations. The SPOT communicator is carried but we have found that there are times when a connection is not recognized!!
Thanks,

Stephen

12:15
Saturday
6-Nov-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Although its not currently possible to completely disable the track recording (I may add this in future) there are a couple workarounds... The Menu/GPS/Pause Track Recording does effectively do the same thing (ensure that GPS/Auto-Unpause isn't ticked) although this will then constantly display a warning message onscreen which may be a bit annoying. (Its generally only intended for use for short periods, eg when entering an area of poor GPS reception to prevent the track becoming 'noisy').

Alternatively you could adjust one of the Activity Profiles (Menu/Settings) to have a very high Min Track Distance and Min Track Time so that new trackpoints are only stored very infrequently, resulting in a low-detail but low-memory track.

Overall the storage issue still shouldnt be a major problem since the Menu/Settings/Max Track Points (full version only) will automatically truncate the track once the specified number of points has been reached. (This is independent of the GPS Logging, in case you still want to log the entire track direct to the memory card)

Incidentally, I've not directly tried TMJ on the BB 8100 series but I suspect it might be a bit sluggish with some of the graphics stuff and track drawing, so setting Max Track Points to, say, 500 points might be useful anyway.

Fair point about mobile reception - yes, in the south-east UK you're never very far from picking up a signal, though there are still low-spots in the countrified areas. (Glad to hear you're also carrying a 'proper' GPS - TMJ is certainly not intended as a substitute for a rugged outdoor device!!)

MrTom

19:45
Saturday
6-Nov-2010

Hello,
    Stephen said"(This is independent of the GPS Logging, in case you still want to log the entire track direct to the memory card)"

GPS Logging on the SD card is a feature I was not aware of. Have now configured it. Thanks for this hint.

Stephen said: "Incidentally, I've not directly tried TMJ on the BB 8100 series but I suspect it might be a bit sluggish with some of the graphics stuff and track drawing, so setting Max Track Points to, say, 500 points might be useful anyway."

The 8100 is beyond sluggish when it comes to map acquisition!! I used the online download feature of TMJ map page #6 to load maps for a 650 mile holiday drive. Used zoom level 13 and Mapnik maps. My internet connection is 10MPS.The drive takes about 10.5 -11 hours with a lunch break and fuel stop. It took me approximately 8 hours to complete the download. Sometimes dumb stubbornness prevails in the face of reason. <:-)
Thanks for the replies
Best Regards,
Tom

Stephen

11:14
Monday
8-Nov-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Tom,

" It took me approximately 8 hours to complete the download. Sometimes dumb stubbornness prevails in the face of reason. "

Wow, thats perseverance!! One thought, did you specifically set Menu/Web/BlackBerry Web Settings/WiFi to connect via WiFi? The BlackBerry version doesn't (yet) automatically switch to WiFi, so even if it does have a WiFi connection the map download will still be done via the mobile network unless this option is ticked...?!

Cheers,
Stephen

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)