Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Help!!

Subject:Help!! 

ChrisM

17:54
Sunday
24-Oct-2010

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

Hi Stephen,

I need your help! As I mentioned the other day, my old phone is on its last legs. Over the weekend, I bought a new one to keep me going for the next 6-12 months, (I hope). It is a Samsung GT-C3300K). On paper it seemed like it should run TMJ no problems, and indeed, things started well. Installed, entered my user details, and it registered itself with your website, and upgraded to the full version.... So Far So good.
The problem is I can't get it to connect with my GPS over bluetooth. The phone can see and pair itself with the GPS gizmo without any trouble, outside of TMJ, but when I try to connect via TMJ, I select the 'Find a GPS Device' option from the GPS menu, but nothing seems to happen, no acknowledgement that I have selected that menu item, then after about 20 seconds, I get a message 'Java Error' (from the phone, not TMJ) and the program bombs.

Have you got any suggestion how to troubleshoot this, and hopefully get it to work!!?? I am using the 'Generic MIDP2.0/CLDC1.1 - Standard' version of TMJ.

Yours in hope!

Chris.

Stephen

19:39
Sunday
24-Oct-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Chris,

Uh-oh, hate to say it but I think this might be a non-starter. According to this page the C3300 doesn't appear to support the Java JSR-82 Bluetooth APIs, which are needed for connecting to the GPS device.

I actually found the same problem on an LG phone that I tested the other day (whilst abroad - this explains my slow response to the other threads on the forum, sorry!) - everything else in TMJ seemed to run okay but it would crash as soon as the Search for BT-GPS function was used.

Sorry to bring bad news, but all I can suggest (as far as TMJ is concerned) is to possibly swap the phone for a Nokia or Sony Ericsson (non-Android) phone, which should generally run okay... Not what you wanted to hear, I know!

Let me know what you end up doing...

Cheers,
Stephen

ChrisM

9:13
Monday
25-Oct-2010

Phone Model:

Oh no! That IS bad news! I don't think I will be able to exchange the phone, as I have unpacked it. I guess I can try and take it back and see what they say, but if they won't change it, I'll have to be without TMJ for a while as I can't just write the money off, unless I can get hold of a cheap second phone to run it on..

If you think of any way round it, please let me know, but otherwise, I'll keep in touch...

Cheers,

Chris.

ChrisM

11:57
Monday
25-Oct-2010

Phone Model:

Well, had a chat to Asda, and they are only prepared to do a like-for-like exchange, even if the phone is faulty... :o(

Just a thought though, has anyone got an old (pref. unlocked) SE or Nokia phone they don't want, that I can use just to run TMJ on?
It wouldn't need to be in good condition, though would have to work - obviously :o)

As it will only be for TMJ occasional use, I don't want to pay a lot, so say round about ten quid...???

Stephen: I know this isn't eBay, and if you'd rather I didn't use your forums as a classified ads section, please feel free to remove this post!!

Cheers,

Chris.

Stephen

15:44
Monday
25-Oct-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

I'm surprised Asda aren't allowing the return - is the packaging damaged or something? I'd have thought there'd be some statutory consumer rights that would force them to accept the refund!? Seems like a good reason to not buy from them in future (for mobiles at least)!

Anyhow, no worries about the ad, probably worth checking on eBay as well though...

Good luck!

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen

16:16
Monday
25-Oct-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Further to that, I thought I'd quickly try a version build specifically for the C3300 - have emailed you offlist with details...

ChrisM

16:20
Monday
25-Oct-2010

Phone Model:

Apparently, it is the terms and conditions that with Mobile Phones, they will only give a 'Like for Like' exchange.
To be fair, i have unpacked the phone, and removed the protective film from the screen, etc. and it is not even faulty, it just doesn't do what I want it to...

If I went to the shop, and kicked up a fuss, I guess I might be able to get something done, but to be honest, I'm not sure I can be bothered, and I'm actually coming round to the idea of having an old phone to run TMJ on. I could even fix it to the handlebars of my bike when I go out for a cycle...
And apart from the fact that it doesn't run TMJ (admittedly a big flaw!) I quite like the new phone...!

Cheers,

Chris.

shchenka

13:01
Sunday
31-Oct-2010

Chris, not much help but I feel for you. I've had a very similar experience with another Samsung - otherwise a very nice phone, would install TMJ and all but then would not connect to a gps. They should come with a warning sticker.

I've also tried your two phones approach (one for calls, the other just for TMJ) and while it's more gentle for the battery (esp. with the TMJ phone in the offline mode), for me it was eventually not that practical.

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)