Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Good and Bad phones...

Subject:Good and Bad phones... 

ChrisM

10:20
Wednesday
20-Oct-2010

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

Hi Stephen,

It looks like (maybe) my beloved W610i is on its way out, as it keeps freezing (nothing to do with TMJ, just during normal phone functions), so reluctantly, I think I'm going to have to look into buying a new phone.
It occured to me that what might be very helpful to me, and others in this position, would be a page on this site that listed phone models that are known to work well with TMJ, and maybe more importantly, those that are know to have issues, or not work at all.
I know that I can probably search the forum for any comments on any specific phone I'm looking into, but have you any thoughts about creating such a page of information??

Thanks,

Chris.

ChrisM

10:23
Wednesday
20-Oct-2010

Phone Model:

Hmm, I just noticed shchenka's thread below this one making more or less exactly the same point as me, so apologies for making an obsolete post...! :o)

Chris.

Stephen

20:16
Sunday
24-Oct-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Chris (and Shchenka, via the other thread),

Sorry for the delay in replying, I guess your Samsung problem might have been avoided otherwise!! ;-)

Yes, whilst I've been away I've been thinking of the best (and quickest/easiest!) way to do this. The TMJ Compatibility page was originally intended for this purpose, but its yet another thing that I need to keep up-to-date, and hence another thing that has quickly become out-of-date!

How about if I create a new forum section in addition to the Announcements and General Topics forums. I would then pre-create some initially empty threads, using each thread for a particular sub-range of phones (eg: Nokia S40, Nokia S60, Nokia S60 Touchscreen, BlackBerry OS4, BlackBerry OS5, BlackBerry OS6, etc). Messages could then be posted in the relevant threads for commenting on individual handsets, perhaps with a few suggested guidelines for phone comments (eg proforma message, ie Internet Works:Y/N, Bluetooth Works: Y/N, etc)...

I'm thinking this might be a reasonable compromise between having a 'standard' forum, like this one, where its difficult to find notes on a specific handset, or on the other hand an overly complex sub-forum 'tree', with manufacturers at the top, then handset subtypes (eg S40, S60), then screen layout/touchscreen, etc...?

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Stephen

ChrisM

10:55
Tuesday
26-Oct-2010

Phone Model:

I think that'd probably work quite well. The only thing I'd be concerned about the the sheer number of different makes, types and models, but to be honest, I can't think of a better way of doing it, apart from (as you say) a complicated multi-level tree type affair which would probably be a nightmare to maintain.
If you were creating these initial threads, maybe you could have one for 'Phones That Are Known Not To Work With TMJ'. I'll even give you the first entry for that one:
Samsung C3300!! :o)

That might be better than creating lots of threads that just say 'This Phone Is Not Compatable With TMJ' (?)

Cheers,

Chris.

shchenka

13:13
Sunday
31-Oct-2010

Yes, this section should best self-organize and require minimal, if any, maintenance but in order to do that, it could use some initial browse-frliendly "style" guidelines. Personally, I would quite like a two-level hierarchy (phone makes first, then individual models) as it would auto-impose some minimal discipline but if this seems complex, setting some empty threads with subjects conforming to a simple rule could be a good way to set an example for a start. My only concern is that a flat structure would be not that usable (not scalable, if you like) as initially its information would be not exhaustive enough to be useful, but subsequently while the number of the threads would grow, it would turn into a mess. But then you could always complicate the structure by moving threads to new sub-forums at a later stage, right ? :)

Stephen

21:19
Monday
1-Nov-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Yeah, I'm not entirely convinced about the 'flat structure' either, but in reality I don't think there'd need to be many threads - I figured I'd create the initial threads myself (with the forum locked for new threads - ie replies only) and there aren't all that many different manufacturers/platforms worth their own thread.

Will have a play in the next few days...

Stephen

11:23
Monday
8-Nov-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Right then, I've now set up a new forum for phone reviews/comments and have made it live, so hopefully this will slowly grow into a phone compatibility/review database. I've added a couple of short reviews myself, but its looking rather empty at the moment, be good if a few more reviews appeared soon!!

Perhaps we could keep discussion about the forum within this thread, to keep the forum itself purely for the phone-specific reports...

Cheers!
Stephen

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)