Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Backing Up/Restoring Settings When Upgrading

Subject:Backing Up/Restoring Settings When Upgrading 

ChrisM

9:53
Thursday
15-Jul-2010

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

Hi,

Just upgraded to the latest version, and as normal, my phone seemed to cock it up slightly, creating 2 versions of the program, and then deleting all my settings when I try to remove the older one...
I thought I'd been smart this time, by backing my settings up, but can't seem to get the restore to work :o(

When I saved the settings, I changed the default name (Was this a mistake?), and now when I try to use the 'Load Settings From Backup' menu option, it seems that nothing happens, doesn't ask me for a filename or anything, and the settings remain at their defaults.
Does the restore expect to find a file with a specific name, so have I confused it by renaming the file when I did the backup? (If that's the case, maybe the backup routine shouldn't let you rename the file?)
Any suggestions how I can get my settings back?? Or have I just got to set them all up again (like I usually do...)

Many Thanks!!

Chris.

Stephen

10:55
Thursday
15-Jul-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Chris,

Its never easy, eh!! ;-)

There might be a couple of things causing this...

- does the new installation prompt for access to the memory card? If not it might be that the Application permissions are set to 'Never allow', in which case you should get an error appear in the Event Log. Check that the Read/Write permissions are set correctly in the phones Application manager.

- when displaying the file browser TMJ initially reads all the file names before displaying the filelist. If there are lots (ie 100s) of files in the initial folder then it may take a little while before the list appears. (Though thinking about it, the first folder to display after a fresh install should be the root folder - ie: C, D, E, etc, which shouldn't take long to appear...)

Additionally, do you have any other errors in the Event Log after attempting the Load Settings from Backup, also do any of the other file functions work (eg, GPS/Logging/Select Log Folder, etc)?

Cheers,
Stephen

ChrisM

16:26
Thursday
15-Jul-2010

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

Hi Stephen,

You'll be please to hear that I think it was my phone, not your application. Seem that my phone screwed things up worse than usual when I tried to install the new version over the top of the old one... I couldn't even get into the appplication permissions screen for the new version, the phone just bumped me straight back to the previous menu, so God knows what else was f... er.. mucked up with the installation!

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I have deleted all instances of the program, re-downloaded/installed the latest version, and it restored my settings sweet as...

I think from now on, I'll just delete the previous version before I try to install any updates, and to be honest, now that I can backup/restore my settings, it doesn't really make sense to try and do it any other way.

Thanks for your help, it at least pointed me in the right direction.

Cheers,

Chris.

Stephen

20:35
Thursday
15-Jul-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Chris,

Phew, thats good to hear!

The whole app-upgrade procedure does seem to have some odd pitfalls on various phones. On my BlackBerry I've basically given up hope of it retaining any previous settings, these always now seem to get reset back to defaults, so I rely entirely on the Settings file to maintain the preferences...

Hope it works okay otherwise!

Cheers,
Stephen

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)