Subject:Internal GPS signal 

homerhoju

6:04
Thursday
15-Apr-2010

Phone Model:
LG GC900f

Hi,

I've got an LG GC900 mobile with an internal GPS and it's allowed me to install TMJ, however whenever I manage to get an InternalGPSSignalOK and I see my co-ordinates, nothing else then seems to work. The time resets to 10:00 and the date to 1 Jan 1970. Before getting the OK signal, both time and date show correctly.

If I go for a walk or a drive, all gauges and numbers remain at zero. I'me tearing my hair out. What am I missing?

Stephen

15:10
Friday
16-Apr-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi,

I'm afraid LG is another manufacturer that (like Samsung) I don't often get the chance to test with TMJ, so I'm not too sure why its doing this.

Once TMJ connects to a GPS device it then takes all its timing info from the device (internal devices as well as external bluetooth ones), since GPS timing is likely to be more accurate than any other source that the phone uses. However it sounds like either the phones internal device isn't providing the correct time (ie a bug in the phone firmware), or else a bug in TMJ is causing the timing to fail.

Do you have any errors listed in the event log (Menu/Settings/Debug/View Event Log)? Also, does the lat/long continue updating every second or so (when moving), implying that the phone is at least still providing TMJ with a valid location (as opposed to possibly just providing a single 'fix' and then giving up)...

Thanks,
Stephen

homerhoju

9:24
Friday
23-Apr-2010

Phone Model:
LG GC900f

Hi Stephen,

No, no listed errors in the log and the lat/long does move as I drive around. The times and dials are still as mentioned - no change.

Thanks.

Stephen

9:26
Monday
26-Apr-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi homerhoju,

One other thing... have you got the Menu/GPS/GPS Options/Parse NMEA Data if Available option enabled? Its probably best to leave this UNticked, but try toggling it and see if anything changes...

I'll send you a test version off-list that forces TMJ to always use the phones internal clock (rather than the GPS one), which might hopefully help...

Cheers,
Stephen

homerhoju

21:47
Monday
26-Apr-2010

Phone Model:
LG GC900f

Hi Stephen,

Yes, I've tried enabling and disabling the Parse NMEA data several times as I find it difficult to actually get a lock with the GPS and thought that this might be the culprit. Unfortunately not.

Thanks very much for the test version, really appreciate your time and effort on this. I'll upload it to my phone later tonight (I'm at work at the moment) and let you know how I go. Do you think that potentially this may also make all the dials work (ie Speed, Compass, Bearing etc)?

Stephen

8:19
Tuesday
27-Apr-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

No worries. The thing with the dials is that they are all in some way related to time, so I'm hoping that by fixing the time issue it *should* also fix these as well. The Compass and Bearing are calculated by the direction between two subsequent trackpoints, but TMJ will only store a new point if it has a different time to the previous one (to prevent 'division-by-zero' errors that would otherwise occur when calculating speed=distance/time).

(Incidentally, I was going to suggest trying the 'Use Speed/Bearing from GPS' option, but looking at the code this also will not do anything until the timing issue is fixed as it still relies on the time changing between points!)

Cheers,
Stephen

homerhoju

4:56
Wednesday
28-Apr-2010

Phone Model:
LG GC900f

Hi Stephen,

After trying upteen times trying to get a lock with the internal GPS over the last few days to see if the test version will work (and ticking/unticking different combinations in the GPS menu), I finally got it to lock! Yeah. The combination of checks I used is "Allow Costs" - unticked, "Basic Connection" - ticked, "Parse NMEA Data if available" - ticked", Use Speed/Bearing from GPS" - ticked, "Use Extra Altitude Smoothing" - ticked.

All the dials now have a value (including the clock) and the time and date are reflective. I don't know if this will work again as I'm wary (read scared) of actually switching it off again as it is currently working and I'm looking forward to actually being able to use the many, many different functions you've created! I even get a little red flashing light in the bottom right hand corner of the screen.

I have to bite the bullet though and switch it off as the phone is getting very warm and it's draining the battery. I'll drop you another line to let you know if this wasn't just a one off.

Hope this also helps with your research. Thanks again. :)

Stephen

17:49
Thursday
29-Apr-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Righto, glad the patch (just about) worked! I'll add an item in the GPS Options menu in the next version to 'Override GPS Time' with the phones internal clock time, which should allow the normal version to work on your phone. (I think this is almost certainly a phone firmware bug, so hopefully LG will fix it with a firmware update anyway).

Shame that it seems a bit temporamental in getting a fix. The 'Allow Costs' option enables the Assisted-GPS, so unticking this will make the phone take longer to get a fix, but this can be helped by keeping the phone stationary outside for a couple of minutes. I don't know specifically about the LG, but it may also help if you use the phones built-in GPS status app (if it has one) to get a fix first, then start TMJ...

(Incidentally, the 'Parse NMEA Data', 'Use Speed/Bearing from GPS' and 'Extra Altitude Smoothing' options don't have any affect on the GPS signal reliability, so don't worry about playing with these options...!)

Cheers,
Stephen

homerhoju

22:29
Monday
3-May-2010

Phone Model:
LG GC900f

G'day Stephen,

I 've been testing it on and off over the weekend and the phone seems to get a quicker fix each time. I do agree though that the phone's firmware is probably the major culprit here asI have no options to 'Always Allow' the phone to read from the internal memory or micro card. It's been locked to 'Always Ask' or 'Never Allow'.

This was frustrating when driving around. The map (on the micro card) obviously needs to refresh every few tiles but the phone keeps asking for permission. Grrr.

Fyi, the LG doesn't have any other options for the GPS except to swicth it from Standalone to Assisted GPS. I think this has been done as Google maps comes standard.

Thanks for the tips on the other options, and thanks again for the patched version.

jimmyjames

7:52
Monday
28-Jun-2010

Hi Stephen,

Fantastic programme!!!

I have this same phone. Is there any way you can send me the patched version (as per what you sent to homerhojo).

Cheers mate - greatly appreciated.

Homerhojo - did you have any luck in the end getting the access restrictions sorted out?

Stephen

9:20
Monday
28-Jun-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Jimmy,

No probs, I've sent it to you off-list...

Cheers,
Stephen

homerhoju

3:02
Tuesday
29-Jun-2010

Phone Model:
LG GC900f

G'day Jimmy,

No, the access issues still exist (firmware). The fix that Stephen has sent you will work with the issues I had but depending on you country's firmware, the "Always allow" may not be there. My version is 3 - Australia and has not been updated as yet to fix this and allow me the option of accepting once only.

As mentioned, it's usable if walking as you can allow permission whenever the map tiles need refreshing, but near impossible to do this when driving (unless a passenger continues to click allow every few minutes.

jimmyjames

10:45
Tuesday
29-Jun-2010

Hi Stephen,

Where did you send it? Off list?

Try send to me email straka.ian (at) gmail.com - is this possible.

Cheers.

Thanks Homerhoju, I am picking up the phone on Friday so I will have to try sort out the permissions. I'll let you know if I have any luck

Stephen

12:11
Tuesday
29-Jun-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

I sent it to the 'fcc.co.nz' address that you mentioned in your initial message. (I then removed this from the forum message to prevent it being picked up by spam harvesters)...

Have also now forwarded it to your gmail address.

Cheers,
Stephen

jimmyjames

9:45
Friday
2-Jul-2010

Hi Stephen / homerhoju,

I finally got my brand new GC900 today which I love but unfortunately I am having trouble getting GPS to read.

I can't get any GPS lock (the best I get is InternalGPSActive).

What am I doing wrong???

I have made a fishing marine chart that I used on my old Nokia and have attempted to load it. Can you confirm that if I select the offline map I won't use network data and be charged?

Thanks again,

Ian

Stephen

20:53
Friday
2-Jul-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Ian,

I can't say for definite about the GC900's GPS, but try setting the GPS Options the same as homerhoju had (ie Allow Costs: unticked, Basic Connection: ticked), then give it plenty of time to get a signal - keep it stationary with a good view of the sky. Maybe also try rebooting the phone first...?

As for the offline maps... yes, these don't use any network data so you won't get charged by your provider for using them!

Cheers,
Stephen

homerhoju

23:07
Sunday
4-Jul-2010

Phone Model:
LG GC900f

Hi,

Yes, the Internal GPS on the phone can be a bit picky getting a fix. The best I can do with it is when I get the "InternalGPSActive" is either to wait a few minutes and if no luck, resart TMJ and try again or disconnect GPS, the reconnect again. Strangely, I usually get more luck getting a signal when I activate the GPS and it first comes up with IntGPSSignalInvalid. It may take a few minutes, and as Stephen mentions, being outdoors and in a clear position usually helps here.

If your maps are on your phone, external card or internal memory, then no issues with offline. Again, the one problem that hopefully you don't have is the authorisation rights constantly asking for permission to access the phone's data/maps.

Good luck.

ickerbod

13:01
Monday
9-Aug-2010

Hi Stephen, Could I also get a copy of the LG GC900 patch too please?

Would it be possible to add this phone to the list on the download page, with the patched version available to all registered viewty smart users?

Great looking piece of software this, I will definitley upgrade if I can get the darn viewty GPS thing working! :) .... hope you keep up the good work ;)

ickerbod

Stephen

14:49
Monday
9-Aug-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi ickerbod,

Actually the patch is now included in 0.7.5, the current version available on the download page - try the 'Generic with JSR179' version for the GC900.

Tick the Menu/GPS/GPS Options/Override GPS Time option to enable the patch.

Hope that help!

Regards,
Stephen

jimmyjames

21:34
Monday
16-Aug-2010

Hi Ickerbod,

Did you get it going? I still can't get a GPS Fix on mine and it is driving me crazy. I love this program and want it to work sooooo bad!!!

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)