Subject:Live tracking 

ALEXSZN

18:19
Saturday
6-Mar-2010

Phone Model:
SE K750i

Hi Stephen,

I've observed some problems with transmitting my position to server. It doesn't work when the program is inactive (screen saver of my handset is active). Also, sometimes it just doesn't work properly and I don't know why (for example: I observed my position on map (during driving) but the track on the server was incomplete).
It is very important to me to be sure if my position is transmitted and my feature request is possibility of displaying time of the last successfully transmitted position.

Cheers,
Adrian

Stephen

17:12
Monday
8-Mar-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Adrian,

I'm not too sure what is causing the transmission issues, I guess it might be a number of things. I'm surprised that the transmitting doesn't work when TMJ is inactive (I'm assuming you've just 'minimised' the app, rather than exited it altogether, which obviously wouldnt work!) - on all the handsets I've tried they seem to continue to transmit fine in the background. Which phone are you using, by the way? One thing that might interfere is if you make a phone call whilst TMJ is transmitting, though it *should* recover when ending the call.

Is the non-transmitting-when-inactive bug completely reproduceable - ie, when inactive it ALWAYS fails, and when active it ALWAYS (or at least Usually) works okay.

Are you in an area with good signal coverage? Some phones can occasionally have trouble re-establishing the web connection after going out and then back into coverage. Keep an eye on the Sent/Received/Failed field (on the Text/General page - press [1] a few times to get to it). Does the transmitting seem to stop working as soon as there is a single 'Failed' count? If this happens try Menu/Web/Disable Web, give it a few seconds, then Menu/Web/Enable Web again. The Disable Web function attempts to force any 'hung' connections to fully reset, which may occasionally be necessary.

The Text/GPS-WEB/Last Web Response field gives the time of the last transmission with the server (it shows the server time, in GMT). Although thinking about it, if you are getting any transmission failures then this field may change to give a 'debugging' error message (which can help to identify the cause), but does mean that the time of the last successful transmission is no longer displayed. I'll see about adding this into the next version (possibly just in the Help/About screen or Debug/View Event Log screen)...

Cheers,
Stephen

ALEXSZN

20:25
Monday
8-Mar-2010

Phone Model:
SE K750i

Hi Stephen,

Today, after reading your answer I've tested transmitting my position functionality again. It works fine, now I know I was wrong.
Usually I don't use live tracking and monitoring simultaneously, but today I put my notebook on passenger's chair again and observed how it works.
I think, the reason I suggested issues during transmission were caused by poor mobile network signal coverage. My phone and my notebook doesn't work in the same network, so probability of problem with transmission is twice bigger as normally. I've observed problems during travelling between cities.
The field "Last Web Response" is quite enough for me (now I understand how it works).
And of course everything works fine even if program is inactive (screen saver's clock on display).
In the future I will test re-establishing the web connection.

Thank you for your help.

Cheers,
Adrian

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)