Subject:Nokia 5800 Express Music 

Artsand

15:51
Wednesday
30-Dec-2009

Phone Model:
Nokia 5800 Express Music

Hello Gents,

I have a problem using TMJ on the above phone...I'm able to download the file and install it, once installed and when selcted the application to run it just simply shuts down as soon as the initial screen is shwon...(this with the JAD file, with the JAR I don't even have this screen)

Any ideas on what can be the case or did I just missed something on the tutorials and FAQ?

Thanks

Artur Silva

Artsand

15:57
Wednesday
30-Dec-2009

Phone Model:
Nokia 5800 Express Music

Gents,

An update to this problem, if I don't touch the screen the application stays on, only if I press login it goes off immediately, or if I leave it alone for a few seconds....cutting a long story short...it dies with no explanation (at least for me....)

Many Thanks

Stephen

22:36
Wednesday
30-Dec-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Artur,

Sounds strange, I've generally found TMJ to be fairly stable on my own 5800, though it did have an odd glitch a couple of weeks ago when it suddenly refused to run TMJ at all. When 'clicking' the TMJ icon it wouldn't show any response.

If I remember correctly I firstly tried reinstalling the JAR file (I always use the JAR on my 5800, by the way) but it did the same thing, so I then completely uninstalled TMJ (Settings/Application Manager/Installed Apps/TMJ/Uninstall), restarted the phone (turn off and also briefly remove the battery), reinstalled again from the JAR file and it has been fine ever since.

I did fairly recently update the phones firmware (to v31.0.101 - this is the latest available on Vodafone UK), so perhaps that might affect it - which firmware are you running? Also, do you have plenty of free memory on the phone, and have you tried a full restart (ie removing the battery)?

Cheers,
Stephen

Artsand

19:13
Sunday
10-Jan-2010

Phone Model:
Nokia 5800 Express Music

Hello Stephen

I've done your suggestions and no change.....in terms of memory I have 62 Mb on the phone and 6.7 Gb on the card...I've tried to install it on both with the same results....However I did find that my firmware it's very old.....V11.0.008 and as per the thing it has no other update available......weird....I will try to load a newer firmware and will let you know the results..

Thanks

Stephen

21:49
Monday
11-Jan-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Artur,

I found on my 5800 that the phone's Device Update utility didn't show the new available firmware, yet the Nokia Software Updater did when connecting via USB to my PC. They also provide this page to check your phone firmware based on its hardware version number...

Cheers,
Stephen

Artsand

16:05
Thursday
14-Jan-2010

Phone Model:
Nokia 5800 Express Music

Hello Stephen

Can not get a firmware update on the phone as the carrier blocked any updates, they keep saying the my version is the latest for this provider....oh boy....welcome to France....

Stephen, do you think that your software should work on this old firmware??

Thanks

Stephen

19:36
Thursday
14-Jan-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Artur,

Mmmm, it doesn't look too good I must admit!

I've looked through the TMJ server logs for the firmware version that people with the 5800 are running. These logs come from the live tracking functions within TMJ, so *should* be a reasonable measure of which phones work successfully. I've found that the minimum 5800 firmware version logged is v20.0.012, with the majority using v30+, so it does indeed look like it won't run on the older firmware :-(

The v20.0.012 firmware had a fairly major upgrade to the Java Runtime Version used on the 5800. I suspect that there must be some bug or issue in the older JRT that is causing TMJ to hang on your phone, but unfortunately I can't really see any way of debugging this. Its very frustrating that your provider haven't even released an update to v20.0.012. (Vodafone UK are also quite slow in their updates, the last update was several months behind the Nokia release, but I guess at least it did come eventually!)

There is one possible thing that you might try... Uninstall your current version, reboot, and try installing the 'Generic - JSR-179' version from the download page instead. Its rather a long shot, but I'm just wondering whether the Nokia-specific code in the S60 version might be causing the crashes. (The Generic version doesn't have any device-specific code, and also uses smaller icons that consume less memory, which might help too).

Regards,
Stephen

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)