Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Car finder

Subject:Car finder 

acrane

19:54
Monday
21-Dec-2009

Perhaps this one's for the wish list. I would be wonderful for the program to have a feature allowing you to EASILY & QUICKLY mark your parked car's position and later lead you back to it.

I've looked all over but there's nothing of this sort available for my Blackberry 8520.

Stephen

20:52
Monday
21-Dec-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hmmm, its not too difficult to pretty much do this in the current version, although I guess it depends on your definition of Quick & Easy!!

Assuming that you've got TMJ running when you're in the car just create a New Waypoint at the Current Location when you stop and park (on the 8520 the Enter key *should* already be mapped as a shortcut for creating a new waypoint, or if not you can add the shortcut via the Settings/Define Shortcut Keys menu).

When returning to the car select the waypoint from the Waypoints List (screen [2]) to get a green pointer arrow on other screens to point to the car's location. (And if you're in a well-covered-OpenStreetMap-area use the Waypoint context menu to generate a full route to Navigate to the location).

Another possibility... If you forget to create the waypoint when parking the car, use the Graphs screen [9] to find roughly the point where you parked (either via the time or where the speed suddenly drops much lower, assuming you walked after leaving the car), then use the context menu to Show the Selected Point on the Map...

(I guess I could add a dedicated shortcut to create/modify a waypoint called 'Car Location', etc, though this would only save a couple of key presses... Any thoughts?)

Cheers,
Stephen

acrane

0:57
Tuesday
22-Dec-2009

Let me give it a hands-on test and I'll get back to you should any ideas occur.

A Crane

acrane

17:41
Tuesday
22-Dec-2009

Well, it works, despite not meeting my definition of "quick & easy". What I would like to see here would be another page which, when opened, would give you 2 basic options: "Mark your car current position" and "Return to car".

There is an application - by Neosistec - called CarFinder, that does precisely that. Does not work on my 8520, though.

Regards,

A Crane

acrane

17:59
Tuesday
22-Dec-2009

Of course, one drawback to this feature is that is doesn't work very well in underground parking lots where the satellite signal is much too weak...

Stephen

13:03
Saturday
26-Dec-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

" Of course, one drawback to this feature is that is doesn't work very well in underground parking lots where the satellite signal is much too weak "

Yeah, not a lot can be done about this with GPS - at least it should get you back to the right car park, though you'll still have to remember which floor you parked on!!

To be honest I'm a bit reluctant to add a completely dedicated car-finder function - the trouble is that TMJ is quite complex as it is, and I suspect that just adding more and more specific functions won't actually make it any simpler to use!

I'd rather have a more 'generic' system - I've been thinking about my 'shortcut' suggestion above, which I'll probably add into the next version. You'll be able to map a key shortcut to overwrite a special 'Last Location' waypoint, so each time the shortcut is used the waypoint will be updated with the current location. This waypoint can then be used in the normal way for navigating back to, so it can either be used to store your car location, or any other generic temporary location. Would this be of use do you think?

Cheers,
Stephen

shchenka

19:40
Wednesday
30-Dec-2009

I'd just mention that I'm doing this all the time. That is marking my parking place and find it very useful, especially in a forest :)

The only thing to take care of is that your battery does not go flat in the meantime :)

acrane

17:51
Thursday
31-Dec-2009

Stephen, anything you can do to simplify this particular activity would be welcome. I tried it in a shopping center, but still haven't got the hang of it. If I start tracking, the intersecting track lines get to be a mess. Possible the best alternative up to now seems to be the No. 4 key window (forget what it's called).

Regards

ChrisM

12:54
Wednesday
6-Jan-2010

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

I would be quite suprised if your GPS works accurately enough in a shopping centre to get you back to closer than 200m or so of your car(assuming the shopping centre carpark is not open-air). I find mine is very inaccurate inside, with large random 'spikes' appearing in the track as the GPS struggles to get an accurate fix.

Anyway, surely you don't need GPS to find your car in a shopping centre car-park...!!?? :o)

Regards,

Chris.

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)