Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Altitude

Subject:Altitude 

iaslaniv

14:22
Wednesday
18-Nov-2009

Hi,

I have installed on nokia 6700 and everything works fine except Altitude, always is 0.
Please, could somebody help me to solve this problem.

Thanks in advance

Stephen

20:23
Wednesday
18-Nov-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi,

This sounds rather odd. TMJ takes its altitude direct from the Internal GPS (I'm assuming you're using this, rather than an external bluetooth device) - it does this at the same time that it gets the latitude and longitude, so if these are updating okay then I assume that maybe the GPS is just unable to provide the altitude (possibly due to if not being able to lock on to enough satellites, for example). Do other apps (eg the phones builtin GPS Status app) show an altitude reading?

One thing you might check is whether the Menu/GPS/GPS Options/Parse NMEA Data if Available option makes any difference?

Cheers,
Stephen

iaslaniv

11:56
Tuesday
1-Dec-2009

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for reply. I'm using Internal GPS. The latitude and longitude are updating Ok and speed, compass etc. Ok. I don't have other app in my dev.
As you suggested, I check Menu/GPS/GPS Options/Parse NMEA Data option but altitude still 0.0.

Regards,
Ilham

Stephen

17:19
Tuesday
1-Dec-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Ilham,

Does the phone not have at least a basic built-in GPS Status app? I'm not sure about Series 40 but Nokia Series 60 phones have a 'Location' app (in Main Menu/Applications on my 5800) that gives basic position data, including altitude. Just wondering if this is also showing zero...

Do you have any GPS errors in the event log (Menu/Settings/Debug/View Event Log). Maybe also try with and without Menu/GPS/GPS Options/Basic Connection and Menu/GPS/GPS Options/Allow Costs (restart TMJ after each change). To be honest I suspect this might be a firmware bug in the phone (you might try checking for firmware updates) - I really can't think of any other reason in TMJ why the Lat/Long should work but not the Altitude!!

Regards,
Stephen

iaslaniv

13:20
Wednesday
2-Dec-2009

Hi Stephen,
Thank you, everything works fine :)

I have Baku city map in nm2 format. Can I use this map on TMJ software?

Does TMJ software supports Google online map?

Regards,
Ilham

Stephen

11:58
Thursday
3-Dec-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Ilham,

Strange that its suddenly working!!!

I'm not familiar with the NM2 format, I assume its a vector format, in which case no, I'm afraid TMJ can only work with its own vector tile format. If you are able to somehow convert the map into a large PNG or JPEG file you may be able to open it in the MapOrganiser and convert it for TMJ, though I somehow suspect that this might be rather fiddly!

Regarding Google, their licensing prohibits the use of their map tiles outside of their web-based maps, hence why all the TMJ maps are OpenStreetMap-based!

Cheers,
Stephen

iaslaniv

13:13
Thursday
3-Dec-2009

Hi Stephen,

Not suddenly. I checked "Menu/GPS/GPS Options/Parse NMEA Data" option and just did not restart the phone. After restart everything OK

Regards,
Ilham

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)