Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Maximum number of Trackpoints per trip

Subject:Maximum number of Trackpoints per trip 

sunwind

18:37
Friday
6-Nov-2009

I just installed TMJ on my Blackberry 8830 last night and I'm very impressed with it. It's much more advanced than the GPS tracking app I was using before.

One question: I believe you are allowed up to 150 trackpoints per trip in the free version. If this is correct, is that number independent of the length and duration of the trip? For example, whether I tracked a 30 minute trip or a 5 hour trip, the maximum number of trackpoints per trip would be 150?

If I reach 150 trackpoints during my trip, will I still be able to track my position on my phone?

If not, does the website continue to track my position but then in the track report, use 150 equally spaced (in time) trackpoints to describe the trip?

Is the 150 figure the same independent of how many track sections were created in the trip?

Thanks.

Stephen

19:45
Friday
6-Nov-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi,

Glad you like TMJ!

" I believe you are allowed up to 150 trackpoints per trip in the free version. If this is correct, is that number independent of the length and duration of the trip? "

The limit is actually 100 trackpoints, but yes, that is independant of length/duration. By adjusting the Menu/Settings/Activity Profile settings for Minimum Time and Minimum Distance you can increase the gap between points to stretch the recorded track over a longer distance, at the expense of track detail. eg If you're going on a long motorway drive then setting a Minimum Distance of 500m could give a 50km track, etc.

" If I reach [100] trackpoints during my trip, will I still be able to track my position on my phone "

Yes, on the 100th trackpoint it'll flash up a message saying 'track full', but then the rest of the functions *should* carry on as usual, so the web uploading will continue to update your live location on the website, and the maps/gauges/route etc will still work. You can also still use the GPS/Logging functions to record the complete track to the phones memory card (and then upload this to the TMJ website at a later date if needed).

" If not, does the website continue to track my position but then in the track report, use [100] equally spaced (in time) trackpoints to describe the trip? "

The live position will update as usual, but the complete track stored on the site is only uploaded to match the points stored on the phone. You could theoretically clear the track on the phone every so often and the website will then contain a more complete track (the website doesn't impose the 100 point limit, only the phone), though this may get a bit fiddly!

" Is the [100] figure the same independent of how many track sections were created in the trip? "

Yes, there is no specific limit on the number of track sections - each point simply has a 'yes/no flag' to indicate the start of a new section.

Hope that makes sense!!

Cheers,
Stephen

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)