Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / W995 - internal GPS Error

Subject:W995 - internal GPS Error 

GuJo

8:17
Friday
18-Sep-2009

I cant connect to the internal GPS Device on my Sony Ericsson W995. I only get the error.
The GPS is activated and the othe applications like wayfinder, status info and tracking work fine.
I also tried to start the status info first and minimized it. Then I started TMJ-Mobile but it doesent connect. It reports only the internal GPS Error. 

Stephen

10:17
Sunday
20-Sep-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi,

It should work on the W995 - can you try the following:
- set the Menu/GPS/Options/Basic Connection option
- fully reboot the phone (including removing the battery briefly)
- check the Application Permissions are set to allow Location access

If none of this makes any difference, are you getting any GPS-related errors in the log (Menu/Settings/Debug/View Event Log)

Cheers,
Stephen

GuJo

11:55
Monday
21-Sep-2009

Hi Stephen,

thanks for your response, but it doesnt work. I checked the permissions, its set to "allow access" ("Immer Erlauben"). Basic connection etc. I reboot the phone including removing the battery but its always the same error.
The Event Log:
13:30:50Err: javalang.SecurityException @LOCR2
13:30:48Err: javalang.SecurityException @LOCL2
13:30:48Err: javalang.SecurityException @LOCL1
13:30:48: GPS7 Unavailable - trying next...
13:30:48: GPS6 Unavailable - trying next...
13:30:37: Started
The phone is T-Mobile Germany branded

cheers,
Gunther

Stephen

16:02
Monday
21-Sep-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Gunther,

Are you able to use the GPS with other J2ME location apps (ones that didn't come with the phone)? The SecurityException will appear when the phone itself blocks TMJ from using the GPS, so if all the app permissions are definitely set to allow access then it may be that T-Mobile have blocked the GPS for third-party apps in their firmware.

Sounds similar to the problems noted in this thread - do any of the suggestions in that thread make any difference?

Cheers,
Stephen

GuJo

7:32
Tuesday
22-Sep-2009

Hi Stephen,
I noticed allready the thread - and its not working. Because thats why I opend this thread.
It seems to be that you are right with the "third-party apps blocking" of the T-Mobile branding! I tryed to use two other programms (Velox, GPSView) and they dont work.

Cheers,
Gunther 

Stephen

13:38
Wednesday
23-Sep-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Gunther,

Thats very annoying of T-Mobile if it is the case! I asked a friend with a W995 (on O2 UK) to see if he could reproduce the SecurityException error, but the only way he could do this was by setting the Phone Applications Folder / TMJ / Options / Permissions / Custom / Location Services to 'No', but when this is set to 'Always Ask' then the error never appears.

Incidentally, I don't suppose the TMJ GPS Options/Allow Costs option has any effect does it?

Its looks like the only way it'll work is by using an external Bluetooth GPS device. (I'd be very surprised if T-Mobile had blocked access to the bluetooth as well!). Bit of a pain, but on a positive note an external GPS does give a much better fix than the phones built-in one, and reduces drain on the phone battery...

Cheers,
Stephen

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)