Subject:Import GPX file 

yano

13:36
Tuesday
8-Sep-2009

Phone Model:
SE K610i

Hi Stephen!

I'm trying to upload a GPX file (2MB) that I've found in Internet but after a couple of seconds a blank screen appears (instead of the usual message "xxx points have been uploaded ...") without any error message and the route is NOT uploaded ... What is going wrong?

Of course I can send you the file separately to your email address (please provide me with it) for further investigations.

Thank you in advance for your support.

Cheers,
yano

Stephen

16:07
Tuesday
8-Sep-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Yano,

No problem, if you'd like to email me the file (to support (at) trackmyjourney.co.uk) I'll see if I can find the bug...

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen

21:14
Wednesday
9-Sep-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Yano,

I've had a look at your track that you e-mailed. The basic problem is that it is extremely large (around 17000 trackpoints) and it looks like the webserver's XML parsing functions are having trouble handling the GPX files.

I was able to import the TXT/CSV file without problems, although it did take a good few seconds, during which the webpage appeared to hang (which might be different with other browsers - I'm using IE7). However, as your TXT/CSV format doesn't have a time field (only a date), it only imported as a Route, not a Track.

To import the GPX file I manually split it into two files using EditPad, which imported successfully and could be combined back together on the site (using Merge Tracks on the Folder page). I've moved it into your 'Tracks' folder. Note that it will be very unwieldy as it still contains over 12000 points (using the default GPX import filtering of 10 metres/10 seconds). I've just added a new function on the Track/Map page, which will automatically reduce the detail of complex tracks to enable them to still display fairly quickly.

I'm thinking of adding a 'Filter Track' tool, which will reduce the detail of massive tracks like these to improve the site speed, save bandwidth and reduce server storage, although this won't help when importing the tracks in the first place!

Cheers,
Stephen

yano

10:15
Thursday
10-Sep-2009

Phone Model:
SE K610i

Hi!

thank you for your support and hint (splitting a big file)! I'll keep it in mind next time ...

By the way, myself I've succeeded now in uploading the related CSV file with IE (instead of Firefox!). Actually what I need for my next activity is a route and the CSV file will do ...

On the other hand, on the map page, when you move now your mouse over the graph at the top, no info about the point is anymore displayed and on the map the related red target doesn't move anymore (both IE6 and Firefox3.5) ... IE fires an "error on page" in the status bar ... any clue?

Cheers,
yano

Stephen

10:33
Thursday
10-Sep-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Yano,

It might be that your browser(s) has cached the previous version of the map page's Javascript file (which handles the graph/map linking). Can you try fully reloading the page (I think its generally Shift- or Ctrl-F5) to force it to reload all the associated files on the page, and see if that helps.

Cheers,
Stephen

yano

10:47
Friday
11-Sep-2009

Phone Model:
SE K610i

Life can be so easy! Thanks for your hint! ;)

Actually I deleted already the cache, the cookies and the history but apparently it was not enough ... !

Cheers,
yano

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)