Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / New free version: is nmea logs affected?

Subject:New free version: is nmea logs affected? 

Thingomy

8:35
Thursday
13-Aug-2009

Along with the basic funtionality like checking where I am, and where I've been, the only features that I really use at the moment are raster maps display, a few "bollards" or "postbox" waypoints and NMEA logging (I'm an OSM mapper)

As I have never knowingly used the "Track Recording" feature, I'm not 100% sure I know what it is. Is this the blue line that apears on the map showing where you have been?

It is stated that the new free version is limited to "100 points per track" -- does this affect the NMEA logging capability?

For what it's worth, I understand given your situation why you have to charge money for your product -- in your situation I'd do the same. However I'm an extremly strong proponent of the open source/user contribution thing, so find it a little unnerving to be charged money to use the maps that I have freely donated time and effort creating.

There is nothing wrong with what you are doing, and there is little alternative (making the project open at this late stage would be a complete mess). Good will doesn't put food on the table.

Stephen

10:19
Thursday
13-Aug-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi,

Yes, the Track Recording is in effect the blue line on the map, but also applies to the Track Stats readouts (track length, times, max speeds, ascent/descent, calories, etc) and Graphs screen.

There is no limitation on the NMEA Logging in the free version, so you can continue to use this as usual.

I do understand your feelings about having a charge for the maps that you have in effect created yourself. It is only the Vector maps that are limited - the online and offline Raster maps are fully available in the free version. The thing is, the vector maps require a *lot* of pre-preprocessing of the OSM data, which account for a lot of my costs.

Its also maybe worth making the point that the Raster map tiles are only 'free' for as long as UCL are willing to provide their high-bandwidth data connection for use by the OSM tileservers, and this also applies to CloudMade's tile services. The fact that the data itself (which you and I and 130000 others are contributing to) is openly useable from a license perspective, doesn't necessarily mean that its provision can always be free, if you see what I mean!

Anyhow, good luck with your mapping!

Cheers,
Stephen

Thingomy

22:27
Thursday
13-Aug-2009

Ok, well it's good to hear that NMEA logs are not affected.

1) Further realated question:

If I go for a long walk/drive/whatever, with the free version, what happens to the "track" does the blue line only show the last mile that i have traveled, or does it make multiple tracks that show up as as diferent shades of blue, or what?

2) Further vaugly related question (sorry for hijacking the thread, but i don't think anybody should mind...):

I remember seeing options months ago about distance/time between track points, and how many to store, where are these options, have they been removed/changed?

Stephen

23:24
Thursday
13-Aug-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

" If I go for a long walk/drive/whatever, with the free version, what happens to the "track" "

The first 100 trackpoints are recorded, you should get a warning pop-up on the 100th point. After then no more points will be added to the track (so the Track Stats/Graph will 'end' at that point). You can then clear the track to start it recording again, although you'll obviously not have the first bit recorded. (Incidentally, if you have set the web uploading then it will still all be uploaded to the website).

" I remember seeing options months ago about distance/time between track points... "

Yes, these are still there, in the Activity Profile settings (Menu/Settings/Activity Profile). If you extend these then you'll get a longer track (with less detail). The presets (walking/driving, etc) are rough guides for each activity (based on what I use!). So if motorway driving for example, you could potentially extend the distance to 500m, and still get a 50km-ish track recorded...

Cheers!

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)