Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / 'Accept or Decline' what???

Subject:'Accept or Decline' what??? 

ChrisM

9:16
Monday
10-Aug-2009

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

Hi Stephen,
Since upgrading to the new version, everytime I fire up TMJ, I get a screen which is blue with a white header, but with no text, except for the options Accept and Decline on the two menu buttons. I'm guessing that this is something to do with terms and conditions(?), but with nothing to actually 'Accept' or 'Decline' I cant really be sure. Its a little bit worrying when I'm not sure what I'm agreeing to, but fortuneatly, I trust you... :)

Regards,
Chris.

Stephen

9:30
Monday
10-Aug-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Chris,

Oh dear, this isn't intended! It should give the same text as the T&C from the mobile site download page. Are you not able to scroll the page up/down at all? And no title either (it should say 'Terms & Conditions of Use')? It displays fine on the several other Sony Ericssons I've tried. There always has to be one, eh! ;-)

That screen uses the same code that displays info messages within the app, for example the Event log, etc. Do these also display incorrectly? (Menu/Settings/Debug/View Event Log)

Cheers,
Stephen

markpenders

11:18
Monday
10-Aug-2009

Phone Model:
BlackBerry Bold

For the record: I can see the screen. At first I was annoyed that I had to acknowledge every time I fired TMJ, but it can be disabled in one of the settings pages.

Regards, Mark.

ChrisM

11:35
Monday
10-Aug-2009

Phone Model:

Hi Stephen,

I guessed that was supposed to be here. As far as I can tell, the info messages work elsewhere, both the full-screen ones, like the one you mentioned, and some that are more like a pop-up window.
I tried scrolling down, but nothing seems to happen.
There is a difference though (apart from the fact that they have something in them). The messages that do work (ie, AFAIK, all of them apart from the one in question) have a black 'TitleBar' with an icon like 'Info' or 'Alert' and white writing, then a window-body that is white with black writing. The 'non-window' that comes up with 'Accept' or 'Decline' is a blue window with a white title bar... it seems to have a double-line border border on the top and left of the window but only a single-line border right and bottom(a bit like the bottom right hand corner is missing)

Good luck with tracing the bug! [Nearly all of my development experience has been writing apps for PCs, where I can pretty much control (or at least be aware of) hardware and versions of operating systems, etc. I can only imagine how much of a nightmare it must be, trying to develop for mobile phones, where there is such a massive range or hardware/software/firmware and operating systems, and where (it seems) that even similar models from the same manufacturer act differently. It must drive you crazy on occasions!]

All the best,
Chris.

PS. If you want to send me any test-code (say a whole bunch of various info-windows) I'm more than happy to try it out...

yano

7:22
Tuesday
11-Aug-2009

Phone Model:
SE K610i

Stephen,

" It displays fine on the several other Sony Ericssons I've tried. There always has to be one, eh! ;-) "

for your info, here is the second one ... ! ;)

Cheers,
yano

Stephen

10:42
Tuesday
11-Aug-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Chris, I've sent you a test version via e-mail, hopefully it'll work now...

Yes, it certainly can be a complete nightmare trying to troubleshoot bugs on different phones. As in this case, theres your Sony Ericsson W610i that doesn't work, yet Yano's K610i does. Two almost identical phones, same manufacturer, same platform (SE JP7)... Strange!

Cheers,
Stephen

ChrisM

11:07
Tuesday
11-Aug-2009

Phone Model:

Thanks Stephen,
Will check it out as soon as I can. Will probably be tomorrow evening, as I'm out tonight, and ont really have the facilities to transfer the file to my phone at work...

I'll let you know as soon as I have a result.

PS. I took Yaho's message to mean that it DIDN'T work on his K610i ('Here is the second...'[phone that doesn't work])

Chris.

Stephen

11:31
Tuesday
11-Aug-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Doh, I should get my eyes tested!

Well, at least that makes more sense, so the two similar phones do behave the same after all...

Cheers!

ChrisM

22:53
Wednesday
12-Aug-2009

Phone Model:

Hi Stephen,

Sorry, but the test version seems to have exactly the same problem... I did just install it over the top of the existing version, (actually, it seems to be sitting alongside). To be honest, I'm not sure which is which now, but both still have the same problem...
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

Event Log as follows:
Started
Initialising
Licence Accepted
Err: NullPointerException @SSP
Width:176, Height: 176
Display Licence
ISO-8859-1
Loading Waypoints
... then seems to just start rest of application

Stephen

9:30
Thursday
13-Aug-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Chris,

Oh dear, back to square one... The NullPointerException is a clue though, so I'll have another look into it!

Cheers,
Stephen

(Strange that it has installed as a separate app... maybe if the first was installed via the JAD link, with the second from the JAR file. Odd though...!)

ChrisM

10:23
Thursday
13-Aug-2009

Phone Model:

It is quite curious. the way it is installed...
I have two copies of the program, it appears in the menu twice, and according to the 'Information' the files are different sizes (buy all of 1Kb).
However, both copies seem to share the same database, ie if I (say) change the name of a waypoint in one copy, then close that down, and launch the other copy, the new waypoint name is showing there.

PS. Doh! I just deleted one of the copies, and although the other copy of the app stayed, all my data vanished!! Ahh well, no worries, I sense a Waypoint-Sync coming on...
oh, and its reverted to the Basic version again!! Should be able to sort it though, will let you know if i have any troubles!!

Chris.

PPS - Dispite ALL the hassle its causing me!! ;) I'm more than happy to try any more tests you want to shhot my way.

Stephen

10:27
Thursday
13-Aug-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Sounds like the phone is almost as confused as I am!

Will send you another test version in the next day or so...

Cheers,
Stephen

ChrisM

11:13
Thursday
13-Aug-2009

Phone Model:

Hmm, phone certainly got in a mess!! Didn't seem to be able to remember any settings. Everything disappeared when I restarted TMJ.

Deleted it completely, re-downloaded and installed, and all seems to be well...
Think I'll try and install the next test it in a different directory (as a 'game' maybe) - unless it's possible for you to give it a different name/id so that the phone automatically installs it in a seperate location??

Regards,

Chris.

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)