Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / New Version

Subject:New Version 

ChrisM

14:03
Thursday
6-Aug-2009

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

Hi Stephen,

How are you? Its been a while since I posted here...
I see that you have uploaded a new version of TMJ (0.6.9). It says to un-install the current version. I'm happy to sync. my waypoints with the website to save them, however, over time, I have changed quite a few of the default settings, and to be honest, I probably won't remember half of what I changed, until I realise that it isn't behaving in quite the way I'm used to... Is there any way of carrying my configuration over to the new version?

Regards,

Chris.

Stephen

20:24
Thursday
6-Aug-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Chris,

Good to hear from you... sorry about the delay in replying - you kind of beat me to it with your post, I uploaded the new version but then had to pop out so didn't get a chance to post the main update in the Announcements forum (done it now though)...

Unfortunately theres not any way to save the settings from the current version. However, if you haven't done so already, you might want to try installing the new version on top of the old, as on some phones it may sit alongside the existing one, so you can at least refer back to that if necessary. (Can't guarantee this though, and if it does anything odd then best to uninstall both then start from scratch!)

The new version does now have an option to Load/Save the settings from/to a backup file, so I may be able to use this for upgrading in the future, but its no good for the moment...

Cheers,
Stephen

ChrisM

20:54
Thursday
6-Aug-2009

Phone Model:

Hi Stephen,

So how does it work now... Obvioulsy I can download the basic version from the website.
When I pay my fee to upgrade to the full version, is there a way of 'unlocking' the basic version and turning it into the full version, or do I need do download the full version and re-install??
Just wondering, cause if I have to re-install, I might as well wait until I have the spare money to buy the full version pay day is in a week or so... :)
How much longer is the current version(the one before you created the 'pay' version - 0.6.7?) valid for? I assume at least a couple of weeks?

Thanks,

Chris.

Stephen

21:38
Thursday
6-Aug-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Chris,

Yes, v0.6.7 should last a good few weeks yet (if you downloaded the temporary 'extended' version in the last week or so that is - given as v0.6.7R2 in the About screen).

There is no extra download for the Full version - its all contained in the same file and simply unlocks the Basic version (it should unlock automatically when you Enable Upload, fingers crossed!).

Cheers,
Stephen

nattila

6:04
Friday
7-Aug-2009

100 points per track! isn't it too much? It is really unusable.
What is about the donations? I sent it a month ago.

Stephen

8:05
Friday
7-Aug-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Attila,

I'm sorry that you think the basic version is unusable. There is still a lot of other functionality in it - Raster Maps (Online and Offline), GPS Logging, Routing, Live Tracking, Web Syncing, Gauges, Graphs, etc...

Check the My Account/SETTINGS page - it now shows your new expiry date from your donation. (I meant to add this yesterday, been quite busy!). Anyone who has donated in the past automatically gets a free upgrade for an extended period...

Cheers,
Stephen

nattila

8:27
Friday
7-Aug-2009

Thank you for the licence. Definitely I will buy the license because it is good software but I am a little bit disappointed in changes.

May a have question?
I use TMJ for flying [100routpoint is for 2 minutes :( ]. In some cases I need to fly by followed a path. I can create the path easily but it would be nice to set cylinders (exact radius in meters) for the wayponts. Eg if I am within 400m to the next routpoint TMJ would skip to the next routpoint. As I think TMJ currently uses a default distance to this follow routpoints as well but it wolud be nice to set the distance. TMJ has nearly the same functionality for waypoints but I would need an action (alert and next routepont) for every routepoint.

What do you think about it?
thanks.

ChrisM

10:06
Friday
7-Aug-2009

Phone Model:

natilla:
" but I am a little bit disappointed in changes. "
Hey, give the guy a break, it's about time he made some money out of all his hard work! If the free version did too much, no-one would bother to pay for the full version.

stephen: Sorry, more questions...
1) Does the program give you any warning/grace period when your subscription is going to run out, of if you have a rubbish memory, like mine, will I fire TMJ up the day my subscription expires (and sods law dictates I will be just setting off on a long walk) and it tells me 'Sorry, your subscription has expired, I won't be able to record all of your walk...'  :)
2) Can I renew the subscription before the expiry date? and if I do, will the 6/12 months just follow on from the old expiry date?

Thanks,
Chris.

Stephen

10:26
Friday
7-Aug-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Attila,

" 100routpoint is for 2 minutes :( "

How low have you set the Menu/Settings/Activity Profile/Min Track Distance and Time? If set to, say 20m/15 secs that would give a 25 minute (or 2km) track...

" As I think TMJ currently uses a default distance to this follow routpoints as well but it wolud be nice to set the distance. "

I was about to suggest the Menu/Settings/Activity Profile/Route Distance Threshold, but having checked the code I've just realised that this only applies to the online routing. I'll need to update this - I suspect that I'll probably release a minor update in the next week or two, so I'll add this in for then. At the moment the manual routing uses a fixed threshold of 250m, so you need to get within that distance of a routepoint. It doesn't necessarily jump straight to the next routepoint, but waits until you are moving away from it (having previously come with 250m). Not sure if that makes sense!

Cheers,
Stephen

ChrisM

10:30
Friday
7-Aug-2009

Phone Model:

Hey natilla, you DO realise that the paid for version has no limit on the number of routepoints. The full version (I believe) works just like the old version. It is only the 'Free/basic' version that is restricted...?

ChrisM.

Stephen

10:31
Friday
7-Aug-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Chris,

" Does the program give you any warning/grace period when your subscription is going to run out, "

Yes, it should give a message at start-up 7 days before it expires. (I'll also send a reminder e-mail a couple of weeks in advance).

" Can I renew the subscription before the expiry date? and if I do, will the 6/12 months just follow on from the old expiry date "

Yes, the new license duration is added to the previous expiry date, so there are no 'lost' days by renewing in advance...

Cheers,
Stephen

markpenders

20:48
Saturday
8-Aug-2009

Phone Model:
BlackBerry Bold

Hi Stephen,

I'm not that active on the forum anymore, but still following your activities. Congrats on your newly established firm! An understandable move imho. In addition to what Chris mentioned: I've never seen a website/service/forum with such a personal, precise and timely feedback. The software is worth the money.

Um, wrt to the unlicensing process ... I first thought it wasn't working, until I noticed that the device settings had to be filled in prior to an attempt to unlock. If you're upgrading and installing over the previous version, this might not be obvious.

I noticed something interesting on my BB Bold, related to a discussion we had ages ago: in the about screen you mention cell-id and signal strength of the cellular network you're on. Will you be using that in the program in a future version?

One more thing (hm, sounds like Jobs): the "Licensed until" field on the BB is different from what is displayed on the website under "my account/settings/devices/". On purpose?

Cheers,

Mark.

markpenders

21:22
Saturday
8-Aug-2009

Phone Model:
BlackBerry Bold

Hi Stephen,

Using the new version, uploading to the web fails with the message that either device code or password is wrong .... But they are copied from the website. Any thoughts?

I saw that you use cell-id in the program to report to opencellid.org. How about the idea that we discussed some time ago?

Cheers, Mark.

Stephen

22:54
Saturday
8-Aug-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Mark,

Good to hear from you - glad you're still using TMJ!

I've e-mailed you off-list about the device code/password error/bug - it should be a fairly simple fix...

Regarding the cell-id/network strength, etc, yes this is now available to Java apps on recent Sony Ericssons phones, and BlackBerrys (and possibly others, but I've not tested these). Its currently used by TMJ to submit data into the OpenCellID database (assuming the user has ticked the respective Web/OpenCellID boxes).

For others reading this, we discussed a while ago combining the network strength meter, cell id and lat/lng to produce a contour map to show areas of good/bad signal strength. I haven't pursued this to be honest, but it should in principle be fairly easy to get TMJ to add the cell id and network strength into the Raw GPX log for example... Not sure what you'd do with it then, but with enough of these logs you could maybe make a 'heat-map' of high/low signal areas. I don't know how accurate the signal strength readout is from the phone, probably not great, but better than nothing as a guide at least...

Cheers,
Stephen

nkovolov

12:09
Sunday
9-Aug-2009

Phone Model:
nokia 5800xm

Hi Stephen

I've downloaded last version after my suscription and i can't follow the register procedure the app crash and stop when i naviguate in the menu...
My phone is a nokia 5800 and it worked with no problems on the old version ...

Stephen

20:12
Sunday
9-Aug-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi nkovolov,

I'll e-mail you a test version off-list in a little while, but I'm a bit stumped! I had tested the new version in the S60 3rd Edition emulator (N95, etc) and it seemed to work fine, but I've now tried it in the S60 5th Edition emulator and it does keep giving a load of 'KERN' errors. Is this the same as your error? - could you note down the exact text please.

(I've found the 5th edition emulator regularly gives lots of errors anyway, including with the old version and even just navigating the Nokia menus, so I had largely ignored its (un)reliability!)

Cheers,
Stephen

(ps: I've actually been thinking about buying a 5800 myself, in order to have both a Nokia and a touchscreen phone for testing... Not sure what to do now!)

nkovolov

21:39
Sunday
9-Aug-2009

Phone Model:
nokia 5800xm

Thx Stephen

I wait for the test version. I can't note down the exact text because i've nothing to note, TMJ start normaly but it suddently stop and back to phone main menu without any bug report or something like that...may i miss something? I've tested all the nolia version in the download page.

Be sure that 5800 is a good device, for proof your old beta version were really fully operate on it.

nkovolov

9:21
Monday
10-Aug-2009

Phone Model:
nokia 5800xm

well after several test with test version you send me i still can't run TMJ ...
Test version is a corupted file and the old one had a jar and jad file size trouble ?!?...

I go for a sailing trip the evening for 2 weeks and it will be cool if i can use TMJ.

Stephen

10:04
Monday
10-Aug-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Oh dear. Sorry to hear you're going away - I'd actually decided to buy a 5800 today, but it'll be too late for your trip :-(

I've sent one extra test off-list...

I would recommend checking the phones firmware to see if there are any Nokia updates available. (Though you may want to leave this for when you return, as it may mean re-entering all the phone settings, and possibly contacts, etc)...

Cheers,
Stephen

shchenka

12:27
Tuesday
11-Aug-2009

Hi Stephen,

I have just installed v0.6.9 basic on my N95. Unlike before, it did not upgrade (install on top of) the previous version, so now I have both 0.6.9 basic and 0.6.7R2 on my phone :). Anyway, each time I start the new version, it asks me to accept the terms of use. There seems to be an option to upgrade to upgrade to the full version, "enter unlock code" but how do I get the code ? Or maybe it is the full version, just claims it is basic ? but then, why does it keep asking me to accept the term of use every time ? Also, is there a way to import the 0.6.7 setting to 0.6.9 ?

shchenka

12:59
Tuesday
11-Aug-2009

P.S. Sorry, I figured it out that the startup splash has to be disabled in the "more settings" menu. Now I see it indeed is the basic version, as it does not want to import (more than 15) waypoints from the site :)

Stephen

14:28
Tuesday
11-Aug-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Shchenka,

If you select 'Enable Upload' it *should* automatically upgrade to the full version - does this not work? (If you don't want to use the phones data connection you can get the unlock code from the SETTINGS/Devices page)...

There's no way to import the v0.6.7 settings, but you can now import/export these in Settings/Debug for upgrading in future versions (or in case of program reinstalling, as per your suggestion ages ago!)...

Cheers,
Stephen

shchenka

17:14
Tuesday
11-Aug-2009

Hi Stephen,
Indeed, it did upgrade automagically :) I've been too impatient, apparently. Many thanks for the new features - I have to test them yet :)
And let me use this opportunity to thank you for trying the freeware model so far. I'm sorry it did not work out but I appreciate your attempt to keep the software free and I also understand your decision to move to the shareware model. Good luck with your new company :)

nattila

11:30
Thursday
13-Aug-2009

Hi Stephen,

" How low have you set the Min Track Distance and Time? "
The recommended interval is 5 seconds on this site.
[url] http://www.xcontest.org/2008/world/en/flights-search/?filter[point]=17.50495%2046.87272&list[sort]=pts&list[dir]=down [/url]

I was disappointed because other pilots wont try out this limited software I think. But it is better than any other mobile software.

Route Distance Threshold
This function nearly good for me, but it would be necessarily to jump straight to the next routepoint. I know it isn't a main expectation, but I hope you will release a flying edition in the future. :)

thanks.

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)