Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / help

Subject:help 

Alec

9:40
Tuesday
4-Aug-2009

i finally did it. finished my GCSE's 'rested' and now got a GPS again.

I ordered the one you said stefan, the g66 touch thing.

now it came a few minutes ago, but i got this.

http://www.pdamods.com/proddetail.asp?prod=A1BTGSBT359W

However I ordered this:

http://www.pdamods.com/proddetail.asp?prod=A1111A1TTBTGPS66

so stefan in your profesional opion, do i send it back, and enquire why or do i accept the new one

please hurry with your response (whatever good saying this will do) as my mum awnta an answer soon

Alec :)

Alec

10:03
Tuesday
4-Aug-2009

Also where on earth is the button for vector maps, i have the latest update, and its missing :(

Stephen

10:48
Tuesday
4-Aug-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Alec,

Congratulations on finishing your GCSEs...

Regarding the GPS devices its a pretty close call. I've got both of these, and have not had any problems at all with the BT359. Its battery life is longer than the G66, although the G66 perhaps has a marginally cleaner signal, and also has the 5hz updates, which gives a very detailed log file if you're doing any OSM editing.
On the other hand, price-wise the BT359 is possibly more expensive (I paid nearer to GBP70 for mine a couple of years ago), so if you've been sent that instead then its not too bad. Also, a friend of mine had the G66 but it packed up after a days use for some reason, maybe this was a one-off... (Mine has been fine)

If you don't want the hassle of sending it back I'd probably stick with the BT359... but its up to you!

(The latest update is only an interim version, I've been delayed in releasing the next full version, which will include a demo of the vector maps. More info to come later...)

Cheers,
Stephen

Alec

10:56
Tuesday
4-Aug-2009

Which one would you choose?honnistly, and also i do alot of low speed things like walking, so the one with better accuracy it probably better and prehaps that would make the 5hz update one unsuitable right?

Alec

10:59
Tuesday
4-Aug-2009

addition: i read on one of there descriptions (the g66 i think) one supports EU satalites too?

Alec

11:07
Tuesday
4-Aug-2009

I may just stick with it actually, if its still a good one

Stephen

11:09
Tuesday
4-Aug-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Yeah, they are both fine for walking. I currently use the G66 in preference to the 359 as its a bit smaller and the battery life is generally enough, but I keep the 359 in my rucksack as a reliable backup.

I don't know what the EU satellite support is about. By the time that Galileo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_(satellite_navigation)) is ready I'm sure both models will be out-of-date anyway!

Alec

11:12
Tuesday
4-Aug-2009

so laslty, for the sake of little difference, i should just stick with my new one, because its more modern and i am only loosing the 5hz update rate.

also whats the channle thing actually mean?
the g66 was 51 this one is 20

is that bad?

Stephen

11:35
Tuesday
4-Aug-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

I *think* the channel thing relates to the maximum number of satellites that the device can receive a signal from at any one time (though I might be wrong on this). As there are only 30 GPS satellites in the sky anyway, I don't know why some devices need more than 30 channels!

Not sure what more I can say about the two devices. I have been pleased with both. All things being equal I would choose the G66, but I hate the hassle of returning things, so would also be happy with the 359. I can't make the decision for you!! :-)

Alec

11:51
Tuesday
4-Aug-2009

last question. its quite cloudy here, so that may be the case

my old one used to get an accuracy of 0.8 / 0.8 meters, as a lock of 8 - 10 i think, this one locks 8 and had a 1.0 / 1.7

the bt395w, whats the least your'se has been at, both the g66 and bt395

Stephen

15:36
Tuesday
4-Aug-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

The BT359 generally doesn't get as low an HDOP as the G66 (I've seen <1.0 on both, but less frequently on the BT359), but I'm not sure that this is necessarily a good method for comparing devices (especially ones with different chipsets) . The figure is a unitless ratio (its not a distance) and will depend on lots of different factors. Also the number of satellites will vary as they are constantly moving over the sky, so the maximum number in view at any one time changes.

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)