Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / turn off the map downloading

Subject:turn off the map downloading 

denis

16:26
Thursday
25-Jun-2009

Hello,

I would like to use TMJ without downloading the maps while I am riding. Is there an option to click to turn off the map downloading ?

TMJ is an amazing tool !

Thank you very much,
Denis

Stephen

17:13
Thursday
25-Jun-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Glad you like it!

Just switch to a different screen - it only initiates the raster map downloads when on the map screen [6]. Alternatively use the MapOrganiser to create an off-line map of your location, so you can then have a complete map without using the internet at all...

Cheers,
Stephen

denis

10:52
Friday
26-Jun-2009

Thanks, I use the screen 4 instead and I loaded a map to prevent from map loading on the screen 6 as you said.

This morning, I found a big bug in the data sent to the web site compare to the data logged in the device.

All happened after I stopped walking for a couple of minutes, TMJ did not log the position while I was resting which is normal, but kept sending funny positions to the web site. This would have been a minor bug but when I started walking again, TMJ logged the trace correctly but the data found on the web site for this second section is plenty of funny values. Something like 1 correct position, 2 funnies, 1 correct, 2 funnies...etc

To sum up :
1) all the data on the device are correct.
2) all the data on the web site before I paused are correct
3) the data on the web site after I paused are polluted with funny values

I can send you all the data files if you want to take a look.

Cheers,
Denis

Stephen

12:49
Friday
26-Jun-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Denis,

I think this must count as one of the weirdest things I've yet had with the website/track uploading!

I've had a look at your track uploaded this morning and it certainly looks pretty confusing! It looks as if it is actually two separate tracks, overlaid over each other, with the track line jumping between alternating points in each track. My first guess was that you had maybe used the same device code/password on two separate phones, which could give this behaviour if they were both uploading at the same time. However, assuming this isn't the case (the data appears to have just come from a single phone anyhow), it must be something else.

The strange thing is that all the live data received from your walk this morning is actually listed as being 25th June, rather than 26th, so I'm wondering whether this has resulted in a track from yesterday being merged into todays one.

From the shape of the 'funnies' in your track, would this make sense? If so, it looks like TMJ or your phone (or its GPS) is for some reason getting confused with the date. Could you check that the Date, Time and Timezone are set correctly in the BlackBerry Options/Date/Time screen. Also, when you have a valid GPS signal in TMJ, does it report the correct time and date?

If the settings are correct it might be worth checking for any firmware updates for the phone via the BlackBerry Desktop Manager...

Any luck?

Cheers,
Stephen

ps: If you like I can try and separate the merged tracks on the website from each other...

denis

13:18
Friday
26-Jun-2009

Hi Stephen,

What you said about the time of my BB is a possible source of trouble as I had to change the time this morning (it's a brand new BB).
I had the same idea also about a mix of 2 tracks, because the funny points are not totally unpredictable.

I am going to clear everything, check the date and time of the BB again, and do another test this afternoon.

I will let you know.

Thanks,
Denis

denis

10:38
Sunday
28-Jun-2009

Hi Stephen,

I tested again, and the problem did not occur. So I think it was due to the change of the time I made on the BB and it mixed the first section of the path with the last points. It happened right after I paused but it's only by chance.

Thanks for you help,
Denis

Stephen

18:48
Sunday
28-Jun-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

That's a relief - if it hadn't been the change of time that did it then I really was stumped!

Cheers,
Stephen

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)