Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Using Map Cache

Subject:Using Map Cache 

nattila

5:55
Sunday
14-Jun-2009

I am planning to travel abroad so I would cache the whole planned route. I can do it if I go trough the route. But as I noticed vector maps also uses different zoom levels and it wold be a huge project to crawl the whole route in different zoom levels. I though a vector tile contains the all details in a specified area. The online using is not a possible way due to high price. :(
Do you have any idea how can I download and store a planned route in different zoom levels?

thanks.

Stephen

11:39
Sunday
14-Jun-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Attila,

I'm afraid the only way to cache the vector tiles is as you have found - ie, by manually panning the map to download and cache each tile individually. This can be speeded up slightly by using the online routing to grab a route to your destination, then manually scroll through the route on page [3] to grab the tiles around each routepoint. However, if you are travelling a very long distance then this will also be fiddly! As for the zoom levels, I'd only bother with zooms 8 and 9 as these are the most useful.

(The reason that I haven't included off-line vector maps is that they are largely generated on-demand, and I don't have the processing power to generate large areas at a time).

You might be better off using the MapOrganiser to create a large raster map overview of the area, and then pre-download the vector maps just for your destination or major stopping points.

One other thing, make sure you UNtick the Settings/Other Settings/Use Map Cache option. This setting is for caching raster tiles to avoid the security prompts that can otherwise pop up continuously on some phones when accessing the memory card; unticking this will allow the entire cache to be used for the vector maps (which are always cached, regardless of this setting).

Regards,
Stephen

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)