Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Ouch - synchronization went south, 800 duplicates....

Subject:Ouch - synchronization went south, 800 duplicates... 

jefm

13:52
Wednesday
13-May-2009

Not sure what happened, but synchronizing waypoints recorded on the phone has resulted in the same waypoints being created on the web service many many times.

How can I clean this up? Ideally deleting all duplicates (by coordinates not name), or alternatively all points, since the data on the phone is still good.

Thanks!

Stephen

18:06
Wednesday
13-May-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Mmmm, it sounds like you've stumbled across a bug that I only noticed myself fairly recently. When synchronising a large number of waypoints that have been created on the phone the waypoints are sent to the website in batches. The problem is the bug causes the phone to repeatedly send only the first batch, and never moves onto the subsequent ones. Pretty annoying, huh! I've fixed it for the next version, but for the moment you need to do the following:

- Export all the waypoints from the phone to an Ozi WPT file (Menu/File/Export Waypoints/Export to Ozi File).
- On the website use the MY ACCOUNT/UPLOAD/Waypoints from WPT File to merge the waypoints into the existing ones (will create more duplicates)
- On the WAYPOINTS page I've now added a Delete Duplicates button () which will hopefully do its job. It removes waypoints that have an identical Name, Type, Latitude, Longitude and Altitude. One possible problem is the Lat/Lng/Alt data from the imported Ozi file might not exactly match the existing (due to converting it to a text file and back again). Let me know if this is the case and I'll look into it further!
- On the phone clear ALL the waypoints (Menu/Clear/Waypoints/All Waypoints).
- Finally do another Waypoint Sync, and the waypoints should correctly make their way from the website back to the phone...

(Until I get the next version out, if you need to sync waypoints from the phone to the website, try and do this after adding every few waypoints, say 8-10, so that they all get sent in one batch.)

Sorry for the hassle!

Cheers,
Stephen

jefm

19:12
Wednesday
13-May-2009

Thanks Stephen - but are you sure you added the Delete Duplicates button on the live site too? I can see the Javascript function in the source, but no button ;-)

Stephen

19:24
Wednesday
13-May-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Doh! I forgot to upload the public version - try again now!! :-)

jefm

5:59
Thursday
14-May-2009

OK, that did it:

- delete all points on web
- export wpt file from phone
- delete all points on phone (compulsory, if not duplicates appear during web -> phone sync)
- upload file to web
- synchronize normally

Thanks Stephen for your help!

The duplicate function works very nicely but I ended up not using it in the final solution.

I don't know if part of the reason for the issue is that I have different waypoints with same name.

I use trackmyjourney to map golf courses to get precise distance information for my shots: front, center and back of each green.

Stephen

9:12
Thursday
14-May-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Glad it worked!

" I don't know if part of the reason for the issue is that I have different waypoints with same name. "

This shouldn't be a problem - its just due to the number of new waypoints on the phone that it has to sync with the website.

Cheers!

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)