Subject:Altitude Stats 

yano

8:21
Wednesday
6-May-2009

Phone Model:
SE K610i

Hi Stephen!

would it be possible to improve the TMJ web site with differences in altitude stats?

Currently it is foreseen an altitude graph for the uploaded tracks only and a summary of max/min altitude and ascend/descent.

For trekking or biking purposes, it would be useful to have the altitude graph also for the uploaded routes (since you can now enter manually the altitude for each waypoint, it should make sense) and some detailed altitude stats (like the already availbale speed, time and distance) for the tracks and for the planned routes as well.

What do you think about that?

Thank you for your support! ;)

Cheers,
yano

Stephen

19:19
Thursday
7-May-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Yano,

Are you uploading your routes by exporting them from TMJ-Mobile and then adding them to the website via the UPLOAD/Route or Track from CSV File page?

Currently the exported Route file is slightly different in format to the exported Track file and doesn't contain any altitude information. The Route file CSV format is simply each line having latitude,longtitude (or for junctions when downloading a route via the Online Routing its latitude,longitude,street_name,turn_angle).

So currently there's no way to get the altitude out of TMJ and on to the website. Also, TMJ doesn't internally store the altitude of routepoints, so this doesn't really help!!

Having said all that in principle it shouldn't be too difficult to get TMJ to also store the altitude for each routepoint, though this will only be available if you are using the Waypoint -> Add to Route functions (for Waypoints that contain altitude data), rather than simply scrolling the map and adding points at random. Would this be sufficient do you think?

It'll also need slight changes to the Route CSV format, which will probably mean that any Online Routes that have currently been saved will no longer work in the revised version (probably not a major problem though TBH).

Fortunately/hopefully I don't think I'll need to change much on the website - it *should* automatically realise that the uploaded route has altitude data, and should then display the graphs/info as with the tracks...

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Stephen

yano

13:32
Friday
8-May-2009

Phone Model:
SE K610i

Hi Stephen,

thanks for your reply!

" Are you uploading your routes by exporting them from TMJ-Mobile and then adding them to the website via the UPLOAD/Route or Track from CSV File page? "

Yes, I do. As far as I know that's the only way (you cannot create a route directly on the web site so far - btw, that was an old wish of mine ... ;) )

" Currently the exported Route file is slightly different in format to the exported Track file and doesn't contain any altitude information. "

Yes, you're right: I've opened the csv file and indeed only lat/lon are stored ... why then not the altitutde too ??

" So currently there's no way to get the altitude out of TMJ and on to the website. Also, TMJ doesn't internally store the altitude of routepoints "

Maybe then a possible ehancement for v0.6.8 ... ? ;)

" Having said all that in principle it shouldn't be too difficult to get TMJ to also store the altitude for each routepoint, though this will only be available if you are using the Waypoint -> Add to Route functions (for Waypoints that contain altitude data) "

That's exactly what I do and what I would need: I select a waypoint on page 2 of my mobile (containing the altitude), and then "Append to Route" and I'd expect that lat/lon AND alt are stored

" It'll also need slight changes to the Route CSV format "

Of course when I'll export to csv file, alt/lon AND alt should now be written

" which will probably mean that any Online Routes that have currently been saved will no longer work in the revised version (probably not a major problem though TBH) "

Of course, but it's definitely not a big prob.

" Fortunately/hopefully I don't think I'll need to change much on the website - it *should* automatically realise that the uploaded route has altitude data, and should then display the graphs/info as with the tracks... "

... but you need to change the TMJ-mobile (==> v.0.6.8) ... ! ;)

On the website you might think of improving the Stats page with a new column "Altitude" in addition to the already available Speed, Distance and Time ...

Thanks in advance for taking care! :)

Cheers,
yano

yano

13:42
Friday
8-May-2009

Phone Model:
SE K610i

Sorry, I missed one last sentence:

" On the website you might think of improving the Stats page with a new column "Altitude" in addition to the already available Speed, Distance and Time ... "

Actually NO stats at all are currently available for uploaded Routes, therefore all the 4 columns should be built, where Speed and Time always set to 0, of course.

As far as the Tracks are concerned, the fourth column "Altitude" would be useful. Thanks.

Cheers,
yano

Stephen

17:39
Friday
8-May-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi again!

Righto, I'll add the altitude stuff into the TMJ route and CSV format as mentioned above...

" As far as I know that's the only way (you cannot create a route directly on the web site so far - btw, that was an old wish of mine ... ;) "

There is the (very basic) Create Route page (the link is hidden away at the bottom of the FOLDERS/Routes folder), though this won't give any altitudes (and doesn't use the waypoints... perhaps I'll look into adding those at least...). Otherwise, yes, the UPLOAD/Route or Track from CSV File page is the best way to do it...

I'm not too sure how the STATS page should work. Currently this page just gives (Ground) Speed related stats (so for a route is totally meaningless). Were you looking to see, for example, total ascent/descent within each speed band? eg 'Total Ascent whilst travelling 30-40kmh', etc. If so, then yes this should be fairly easy to add...

Cheers,
Stephen

yano

8:41
Monday
11-May-2009

Phone Model:
SE K610i

Hi Stephen,

thanks for taking over the altitude stuff for the route and the export file!

" Were you looking to see, for example, total ascent/descent within each speed band? eg 'Total Ascent whilst travelling 30-40kmh', etc. "

Well, the total ascent/descent within each speed band is not really so useful for trekking purposes. Furthermore it would not be available for routes where no speed is present.
Actually I was thinking of total ascent/descent within a section of both a route and a track, or something similar (e.g. between two points) ...

Am I daring too much?! ;)

Cheers,
yano

yano

9:35
Monday
11-May-2009

Phone Model:
SE K610i

Hey Stephen!

Is it me who's blind or is it you who are quick ?! :) I've noticed right now that at the bottom of the INFO (not STAT) page of a Track the total ascent/descent per section is calculated ... that's perfect!

What is still empty is the the total ascendt/descendt per section of a Route ...

Cheers,
yano

Stephen

21:54
Monday
11-May-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

;-) The Total Ascent/Descent per section had been there for a while - I assumed you'd already seen it!!

So anyhow, you got me thinking over the weekend and I've now added a couple of ascent/descent readings to the Stats page - figured it might have some use for others...

I also then updated the Create Route page to allow waypoint locations to be added into the route (and also taking the altitude from the waypoint). The Edit button can also now be used to set individual altitudes for each routepoint.

So then I had a look into the NASA SRTM dataset. This is a massive dataset created from a Shuttle mission to map the land height of the whole planet. I've been experimenting with their SRTM3 data, giving altitude points spaced at roughly every 90m, which seems to be pretty accurate. I've built a simple page that will update a route or track with altitudes from this dataset (its hidden away slightly at the bottom of the Track Data page). Some points to note:
- The datasets are grouped into segments for each latitude/longitude and are loaded from NASA on-demand (and then cached on the site), so the first time you use it for a particular area the page might take a while to load (just give it a minute or two).
- The altitude for a particular lat/lng is currently taken from the nearest SRTM3 point. I'll eventually make it interpolate better between the surrounding points, but it doesn't seem too bad for the moment.
- You can update all your Waypoint altitudes in one go on this page.
- The SRTM data is based on the same datum as used in GPS devices (WGS84), so the heights should roughly match a good GPS fix.
- Note that this will overwrite all existing altitudes - there is no undo function, so use with caution!!

Of course this is all fairly useless until I get the next version of TMJ-Mobile ready (which is still some way off), but it may be of some interest anyhow...

Cheers,
Stephen

yano

9:20
Tuesday
12-May-2009

Phone Model:
SE K610i

Hi Stephen!

GREAT JOB, even more than demanded! Well done, thank you!

Only one last thing (sorry, I hate the phrase "only one last thing" myself) : would it be possible to display the data in the Ascent and Descent colums at the bottom of the ROUTE - INFO page (assuming route's sections and waypoints' altitudes are defined) even if no speed is foreseen ? Currently the Track Section on the INFO page is all the time empty for a route ...

Cheers,
yano

PS: " ;-) The Total Ascent/Descent per section had been there for a while - I assumed you'd already seen it!! "
shame on me!!

Stephen

20:09
Tuesday
12-May-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

No worries!

" Currently the Track Section on the INFO page is all the time empty for a route "

So it is... should be okay now, but you'll need to manually update any existing routes - just change their name or colour to force the website to re-analyse the track sections...

Cheers,
Stephen

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)