Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / SE 760i doesn't connect to internal-GPS

Subject:SE 760i doesn't connect to internal-GPS 

ivanhoe

10:48
Thursday
18-Sep-2008

I have problem, program will not connect to internal GPS. Other default programs can use it, but not this one. Should I change something in default settings?

Stephen

12:38
Thursday
18-Sep-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi,

Which version of the program did you download? You should probably be using the Sony Ericsson JP8+GPS version. Also, do you have the Menu/Settings/Other Settings/Use Internal GPS option ticked?

Any luck?

Cheers,
Stephen

ivanhoe

14:37
Thursday
18-Sep-2008

I downloaded version JP8+GPS (eg C702/W760i)): ... installed from [JAR] (but first installation was from JAD, later I install over it with JAR and keep the settings)
I downloaded program to PC, through USB cable tranferred to mobil phone and install it from phone itself.

version of program is 0.6.1

internalGPS option is activated

no luck ... :(

Alec

15:10
Thursday
18-Sep-2008

Are you 100% sure that youre phone has an internal gps, not calling you dull, but my phone claimed to ahve that too (nokia 6500-s) but doenst.

as does the n95, but again doenst.

it probly best to buy an external receiver, as they are more accurate, better enginered, and take some of the strain of the phones battery

should you get a bluetooth gps (i would recomend it)
please concider the bluenext bn909gr recevier, tis got a great desine, shiny with lights, and even better it has a rubber pad on the bottom side, so it wond slide around should it be on a service, fixing time is great, no problems connection (default passowrd = 0000 i think - cant be changed (thus can be recovered online)) works with the softwere on this site, and is about £20-£25

the specs on the packate say:
dimensions 69.2 mm X 44.2 mm X 15.8 mm
built in rechargable battery, which lasts for 12 hours from experance (my phone died first though)
internal gps and bluetooth aenna,
bluetooth operatiing distance 10 meters (30 feet)
accuarcy typicle +- 5-10 meters, max +-25 meters (95% open sky) (never had 25 meters i get bout 0.5 - 1.1 on a 8 statlite fix, unless i go indoors then i have had 37 meter accuracy)
update rate 1 second
aquitsiton time 45s / 2s cold/warm start (not sure on difference)
interface bluetooth 2.0 specification (enhanced data rate_) sersial port profile

sorry for the long post hope it helps
there may be better receivers but i am jsut chuffed at the whole idea, luving it

alec

ivanhoe

17:25
Thursday
18-Sep-2008

Well, I am pretty sure this modell has internal-GPS which is working with default application like Tracker:

[url=http://img184.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc1382sm1.jpg][img=http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/9494/dsc1382sm1.th.jpg][/url]

But thank you, I'll look for external receiver you've described. Are you sure this device is compatible with SE 760i?

ivanhoe

17:26
Thursday
18-Sep-2008

Stephen

18:13
Thursday
18-Sep-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

I'm pretty sure it should work with TMJ - I haven't tested the W760 directly but it should be similar to the C702. So if you start the program, go to Menu/GPS/Connect Int.GPS, then what happens? Do you get any errors listed in the event log (Menu/Display/View Event Log)? Also, on the GENERAL Text page (press [1] a few times to get to it), what is listed under GPS Status? Does the Menu/Settings/Other Settings/Allow Internal GPS Cost make any difference? (Restart the program after changing this option).

I imagine you've already tried, but are you testing it outside where you'll get good satellite reception. (It may be that it just takes a while to get the initial fix?)

Also, any clues from either of these threads:
SE C702 Problem with internal GPS
Build in GPS SE c702

ivanhoe

18:22
Thursday
18-Sep-2008

error message:

GPS5 Unavailable -
trying next...

GPS4 Unavailable -
trying next...

GPS3 Unavailable -
trying next...

GPS2 Unavailable -
trying next...

ivanhoe

18:52
Thursday
18-Sep-2008

When I start, then program ask me for permission to use location services ... I press Yes.

GPS Status:
int. GPS signal Invalid

allowing Internal GPS Cost make no difference ....

yes, I was trying it outdoor but no change ....

the deafult Tracker application works also indoor ...

:(

Stephen

20:53
Thursday
18-Sep-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Strange... it does sound similar to the SE C702 Problem with internal GPS thread noted above. Could you try a full phone reset - turn off and remove the battery for a few seconds, then try again...

The Int. GPS Signal Invalid message implies that TMJ has successfully connected to the internal GPS, but the GPS itself is unable to provide a fix...

Any difference?

ivanhoe

8:18
Friday
19-Sep-2008

I turned phone off, removed battery, tryied again - no change. Default Tracker works, can take data from internal-GPS but TMJ not. Strange.

Stephen

12:59
Saturday
20-Sep-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Must admit I'm a bit stumped! Do other third-party programs (ie- other than the default Sony Ericsson software that came with the phone) work ok with the GPS?

What seems weird is that I would think the C702 and W760i should work the same (being the same manufacturer and Java version), and there are definitely a number of TMJ users with the C702 working correctly. ??!

It might be worth checking that the firmware on your phone is up to date using the Sony Ericsson Update Service (view the W760 Support pages on the SE Website for more info).

I can also possibly send you a test version with a bit more debugging info if you like...

ivanhoe

14:41
Saturday
20-Sep-2008

Yes, default programs (Tracker, Navigator, Google Maps) can access till GPS withou any problem.

I've updated firmware about 1-2 weeks ago. I don't know how to find a number of version ...

I'd like have test version if it is not problem .... thx.

ivanhoe

13:29
Sunday
21-Sep-2008

I have lastest firmware, it is I think v.1202-3592 R3BA035080521

ivanhoe

11:45
Saturday
27-Sep-2008

I have got some little changed program from Stephen and from now it is all working good. Thanx!!!

chovek69

17:27
Thursday
25-Jun-2009

Hi,

TMJ seems a really nice piece of software.. thanks.
I just tried the TMJ on my w760i (latest firmware 1202-3592 R3EA037) and I've stumbled upon the exact same problem like ivanhou...(my name is ivan btw (:-))) At first, int. GPS shows active for several secs and then goes for "invalid signal".

It is interesting that some java gps programs like mapnav, we-travel and others cannot deal with w760i int. gps while for example amazegps is OK.

Can I try the modified software that resolved the issue or maybe some other solutions.

Stephen

21:47
Thursday
25-Jun-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Ivan (No.2!)

Very odd this - I'm continually baffled by why the internal GPS seems to work fine on some Sony Ericsson phones but not on others (and of the same model!). The changes that I sent to Ivanhoe that seemed to help are now part of the current release so you've already got the best version! ;-)
The Invalid Signal *should* only be generated when the GPS is successfully talking to TMJ, but hasn't currently got a satellite fix. You've probably already tried this, but if not can you try the following:
- In TMJ set the Settings/Other Settings 'Int GPS: Basic Connection' and 'Int GPS: Allow Costs' options. Make sure the Assisted GPS is enabled in the phones own settings
- Total phone restart, including removing the battery briefly
- Ensure you're outside or near a window, with a good view of the sky
Any luck?

Cheers,
Stephen

Karsten

12:22
Wednesday
1-Jul-2009

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, just found that great application a week ago.
Unfortunately, I have the exact same issues as described in this thread on my LG-KM900.
I tried all the suggestions - no luck. Other applications can communicate with the build-in GPS just fine...

Any new ideas to make it work?

Thanks,
Karsten

Stephen

21:33
Thursday
2-Jul-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Karsten,

I'm afraid I'm a bit stuck with the KM900. I've had a few other reports of problems with this phone and I tried it in the LG emulator a few weeks ago, but couldn't get it to work. This was a good sign, since I figured I'd then be able to debug the code using the emulator and find the bit that was causing the problem. However, having tried the emulator again, it seems that it does actually work in that (I must have got confused previously), so I'm back to square one, and without a handset to test directly its very difficult to troubleshoot!

In the emulator I had all three Int-GPS settings options ticked, does this still not make any difference on the phone?

If you happen to have a separate bluetooth GPS device this should work fine with. (Maybe not ideal having to carry a separate GPS, although the signal is likely to be much better - I still use a separate GPS with my BlackBerry, even though it does have a built-in one)...

Cheers,
Stephen

chovek69

9:20
Sunday
5-Jul-2009

OK guys I have some progress in making my w760 gps to work... After a lot of experimenting I track the problems to be related to the internet settings and specifically the Authentication. I posted my solution here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/mobile-phones-pdas/906531-w760-gps-problem.html

Now I can connect with relati;vely good signal to every software I tried so far.

Hope this helps.

sullydog

3:50
Sunday
2-Aug-2009

My W760i does the exact same thing. I found the best thing to do is first open up "Status info" on the location services built into the sony ericsson. Wait for it to connect. Then minimize (don't close) status info. The little GPS symbol should still be active. Then start TMJ. It always connects fine when you do this. At least for me this fixed the problem. *shrug* worth a try for you.

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)