Friday
15-Aug-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

v0.6.1 Released

Main Addition: Track Visualisation Page (key [8]) shows a fully scrollable 2D or 3D view of the track similar to the Plan and Navigation pages, but now allows each individual trackpoint to be examined and the track replayed.

Other changes
- Redesigned Settings menu, moved 'Units' and 'Zero Key Action' into it from the Display menu.

- New Settings/Activity Profile menu - allows various parameters to be individually set for different types of activity, and then quickly selected when necessary.

- New Activity Profile option 'Maximum Track Speed' limits the speed at which TMJ will add a new point to the track. If the current speed is above this threshold then no new points will be added to the track. Its purpose is to reduce the speed-spikes which can appear in the track, particularly when moving slowly (eg walking).

- New Activity Profile option 'Track Target Speed' for use when exercising. A separate new readout on the Text/TRACK(2) page shows the duration of time and distance covered whilst above this speed. Mostly used when running to calculate the time spent doing 'useful' exercise, thus ignoring any time spent walking (whilst out of breath!)

- New Activity Profile option 'Max Plan AutoPan Zoom' sets the maximum scale that the Plan page will use when AutoPan and AutoZoom are enabled.

- New Tools/Waypoint Tools/Select Nearest Waypoint function selects the nearest waypoint from the predefined selection Groups.

- New Tools/Waypoint Tools/Waypoint Alerts function displays an alert when waypoints become closer than a defined distance.

- Added extra options into Zero-key shortcut menu.

- Experimental 'high-precision' location displayed when track recording is paused (shown as a blue crosshair on the plan/map pages). For use when stationary to get a 'best-guess' averaged reading of the current location.

- Added extra Geocache icons. (Note that the existing geocache icon has been swapped with the Cafe icon - sorry for any inconvenience/confusion this may cause!)

- Experimental 'Menu/Settings/Allow Internal GPS Cost' option on versions that use the Java Location API (eg Nokia N95, Blackberry, etc) to see whether this enables the phones Assisted-GPS function.

- New Waypoint menus now show the most recently used Waypoint types at the top of the list for quick access.

- File selection dialogs now remember the last used folder location.

- Default filenames for exporting the Track/Route/Waypoints now include the current date.

- Added Export Waypoints to GPX file option.

- Settings option to select Dark or Light background for Gauges page.

- Settings option to enable/disable gradient usage in Calorie calculations.

- Pausing Track Recording now also prevents Live location from being uploaded to website

Plus various other minor changes which I've forgotten about!

Enjoy!
Stephen

ChrisM

15:37
Friday
15-Aug-2008

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

Hi Stephen,

Great to see another new version...

Should I un-install the previous version before installing this?, or should I be OK to install this version on-top of the old one? Save me having to re-sync way-points etc.

Chris.

ChrisM

15:46
Friday
15-Aug-2008

Phone Model:

Ahh, just saw the message on the main screen that said it should be Ok.

Sorry...

sentinal

20:14
Sunday
17-Aug-2008

Phone Model:
-

Hi Stephen,

Great additions. I really like the 3D view, especially the play track function.
The activity Profile is very useful making tracks even more accurate. I noticed that When I set the "New Section Time" to Never, a new track selection was made quickly concurrently, looks like the rate of either Min Track Distance/Time.

Cheers

David.

Stephen

8:58
Monday
18-Aug-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi David,

Oops, so it does! I'll fix this for the next version. In the meantime, to effectively disable the automatic new sections set the New Section Time to its maximum value (won't stop them completely of course, but will greatly reduce their number)...

Cheers,
Stephen

gpsnavigator

12:52
Monday
18-Aug-2008

" Main Addition: Track Visualisation Page "

This looks great and seems to contain the functionality I requested. Further
feedback after I have used it for a while.

" Redesigned Settings menu, moved 'Units' and 'Zero Key Action' into it
from the Display menu. "

Much better.

" New Settings/Activity Profile "

Brilliant. All the added tools here are very useful. I'd been thinking of
asking for something like this.

" New Tools/Waypoint Tools/Select Nearest Waypoint "

Don't see much point to this but no problem since it doesn't get in the way.

" New Tools/Waypoint Tools/Waypoint Alerts "

Good.

" Added extra options into Zero-key shortcut menu. "

And very nicely done too!

" Experimental 'high-precision' location displayed when track recording is
paused "

I haven't tested this yet; will do.

" Added extra Geocache icons "

I am not a fan of this hide-and-seek stuff but the icons are nice.

" Experimental 'Menu/Settings/Allow Internal GPS Cost' "

Chalk up the experiment as successful. Now TMJ can get a fix in unlikely places
by utilising the agps.

" New Waypoint menus now show the most recently used Waypoint types at the
top of the list "

Good although I am quite used to the quick keyboard navigation. How about a
junction as a waypoint type?

" File selection dialogs now remember the last used folder
location. "

A very welcome improvement.

" Default filenames for exporting the Track/Route/Waypoints now include
the current date. "

Another welcome addition although it should probably include the time as well.

" Settings option to select Dark or Light background for Gauges
page. "

Good.

" Added Export Waypoints to GPX file option. "

Good.

Another thing: I'd like to see the waypoint types saved. Since there's no
supoort for importing from the gpx format, can this be done using any of the
other supported formats so that we can save and restore the waypoints along
with type information? I find that the only way I can cleanly update TMJ (and
indeed any java app which uses the gps and/or network connections) is via an
uninstall/reinstall. Manually restoring the waypoint types can be a bit of a
chore. Even a basic TMJ format for this would suffice.

I ask also because I see that there is now a save all settings feature but I do
not see a restore function. Is this an oversight or is there some other
explanation?

Stephen, you have really made an excellent program even better with this new
release. I've tried probably every other similar program out there but not one
approaches TMJ's feature-set and/or ease of use. I hope it remains free to use.
;-)

gpsnone

20:19
Monday
18-Aug-2008

Hi Stehpen,

I was happy to see that you implemented a lot of geocaching features. some thoughts on these features, though.

the GC icons are nice and 4 icons are sufficient, but they should imho more represent the actual cache properties. have a look at http://www.thepropers.com/geocaching/60SeriesCustomSymbols.htm#Screenshot. the first three icons in "Custom Waypoint Symbols" represent "found", "traditional" and "mulicache". the first second line represents "not found". that should cover most of the caches, although all of the custom icons are used in the wild.

regarding the Tack(1) page. is it possible to extend the statistics to show the "moving time", "moving average speed", stopped time" und "overall average speed"? this would give you a more accurate reading, because breaks would not be put into consideration compared to the old average value.

now i am dreaming, but it would be nice to measure the distance and angle from a selected waypoint in the plan-page. while moving the cursor, the distance and angle is displayed. a new enter-click or similar opens the add new wp menu...

regards,

alexander

Stephen

9:34
Tuesday
19-Aug-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Gpsnavigator,

" Chalk up the experiment as successful. Now TMJ can get a fix in unlikely places
by utilising the agps. "

Great - glad its works!

" Good although I am quite used to the quick keyboard navigation. How about a
junction as a waypoint type? "

Yes definitely, this is one I've been meaning to add...

" File selection dialogs now include the current date... Another welcome addition although it should probably include the time as well. "
I hadn't included the time so as to keep the filename short, but I guess its probably better to include it to ensure that the filename is unique. Will add this...

" Another thing: I'd like to see the waypoint types saved. Since there's no
supoort for importing from the gpx format, can this be done using any of the
other supported formats so that we can save and restore the waypoints along
with type information? I find that the only way I can cleanly update TMJ (and
indeed any java app which uses the gps and/or network connections) is via an
uninstall/reinstall. Manually restoring the waypoint types can be a bit of a
chore. Even a basic TMJ format for this would suffice. "

I'll think about this. As you say it might need a new file format, though it might be possible to use a field in the PLT format for storing the type. (Incidentally, if you use the Waypoints page on the website then its easy to cleanly update TMJ with the same waypoints from before the reinstall)

" I ask also because I see that there is now a save all settings feature but I do
not see a restore function. Is this an oversight or is there some other
explanation? "

This is only intended to save the settings within the phone (the same as is done when exiting TMJ), so that if it crashes before exiting then any settings changes won't be lost. (Added in response to this thread)

Alexander,

" the GC icons are nice and 4 icons are sufficient, but they should imho more represent the actual cache properties. "
Ok, I'll change the geocache icons to represent 'Not Found Geocache', 'Found Geocache', 'Multi-Geocache' and 'Traditional Geocache'. (What is a Traditional geocache, by the way?)

" regarding the Tack(1) page. is it possible to extend the statistics to show the "moving time", "moving average speed", stopped time" und "overall average speed"? this would give you a more accurate reading, because breaks would not be put into consideration compared to the old average value. "
I'll look into this. I agree that the Duration and Average Speed readout for 'All Sections' is often pretty useless, especially if the track has been recorded in different sections over a period of days.

" now i am dreaming, but it would be nice to measure the distance and angle from a selected waypoint in the plan-page. while moving the cursor, the distance and angle is displayed. a new enter-click or similar opens the add new wp menu "
My initial thought was that this was perhaps getting a bit too specific, but actually it could be useful to have some sort of plan 'measurement' function, whereby you set the first point, then scrolling the plan would show the distance/bearing to the new point. (Also, it wouldn't need anything special added for creating a new waypoint as the 'New Waypoint: Map Centre' function already covers this).

Cheers,
Stephen

gpsnone

12:24
Wednesday
20-Aug-2008

Hi Stephen,

a Traditional GC basically is every cache, where you actually can find a hidden cache and logbook in any sort of container. compared to the caches like webcam (taking a picture of you) earth cache (special (natural) location), etc.

plan measurement would not only be nice for geocachers. and if most of the code is already implemented anyway ... :)

i am going to import some wpt with according icons. if i understand the ozi wpt format right, i only have to change the number to represent different icons. lets see...

regards,

alexander

Stephen

17:18
Thursday
21-Aug-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Alexander,

As you might have discovered by now, I'm afraid TMJ doesn't currently import the Waypoint type from the Ozi file. I didn't include this originally since the waypoint type numbering is different in TMJ from OziExplorer so I figured it would just cause confusion. However, I'll change this for the next version so that at least exporting and importing to the Ozi format from within TMJ will now preserve the waypoint type.

(Gpsnavigator, this will also help in your situation where you are saving the waypoints to file before re-installing).

Cheers,
Stephen

rjshv

2:06
Sunday
24-Aug-2008

The 0.6.1 says Program Expired on my Nokia-E51 and asks to download the latest version. Even after I download and installed it today, I still get the same problem. Please help.

ChrisM

21:54
Sunday
24-Aug-2008

Phone Model:

Have you checked that the date/time on your phone is set correctly?
Chris.

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)