Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / The Satellite Screen, so what's that all about the...

Subject:The Satellite Screen, so what's that all about then? 

ChrisM

8:04
Thursday
12-Jun-2008

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

Hi Stephen,

Just wondered if you could explain exactly what the satellite screen shows?
I'm guessing that the circles are the position of satellites overhead (as if you were looking straight up at the sky?)
The barchart underneath is the signal strengths?
The numbers, are these just arbitary numbers to tie the positions with the signal strength, or are they actual serial numbers coming from the satellites?
The circles also seem to change colour (shades of green)
Anthing else of interest?
I know none of that information is of any real use, but it would be interesting to know what it all meant...! :-)

Stephen

8:49
Thursday
12-Jun-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Chris,

Yes, you're about right:-

- The circles show the satellite positions in the sky, with those in the centre being directly above, and those around the edge being on the horizon. (Note that the East-West is not reversed on the diagram so holding the phone above your head whilst looking straight up at the sky won't work - you need to look down at the phone, then up at the sky. Does this make sense?!!)

- The numbers show the 'PRN' of each satellite as reported by the GPS device (I think this is a unique ID for each satellite).

- The shade of green roughly shows the signal strength of each satellite (as does the bar chart). Markers that have a green background are those that are currently being used by the GPS to determine its location - unused ones have a white background.

- If you leave the GPS running for a while then you'll get a path left behind each satellite showing its movement across the sky. Its quite interesting to see how fast the satellites must be moving - they can cross the sky in just a few hours (they are 20,000km away, so this is pretty quick!)

Sometimes the locations of the satellites can help with knowing where best to place the GPS to get a fix. For example, if you're in a building by an East-facing window, then it will probably get a better fix on those satelites in the East since the building will be blocking less of the signal from these satellites.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Stephen

jonte

11:20
Thursday
12-Jun-2008

Hi!

Interesting to hear. A few other questions! :-)

-I have occassionally noticed that there are straight dotted lines from the currently activated satellites converging at another satellite. Is this to indicate that the reciever currently has a DGPS/EGNOS fix?

-Does TMJ decide wich satellites are beeing used to determine location and recieve DGPS-corrections, or is this done by the receiver?

-What does the small flashing red dot in the lower right corner and the very small red dot moving in the bottom of the gauges screen indicate?

As I have said before, very nice application. Like it a lot!

Regards
Jonte

Stephen

16:47
Thursday
12-Jun-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Jonte,

Its actually not as clever as all that! The dotted lines you are seeing are sort of a bug I suppose. They are part of the trace of the satellites paths as they move across the sky. When TMJ first connects to the GPS device it immediately uses the satellite positions reported by the GPS as the 'starting' point for showing their location history. However, if at that point the GPS hasn't achieved a fix at all (ie if it has just been switched on after a long period of inactivity), then it is likely to list all the satellites as being in the same place (most like zero azimuth and zero altitude). When it does subsequently get a fix the satellites positions will suddenly jump to their correct positions, giving the effect that they have all come from a single point.

TMJ has no control over the GPS device whatsoever, it simply reads the stream of NMEA Sentences which the device generates, which give the lat/long/alt/time/date/etc information, plus a bit of info about the satellites positions/signal strengths. Some good info on NMEA sentences here.

The two dots are mainly for testing/debugging purposes. The bottom-right one flashes each time a valid GPS signal has been received from the GPS device, whilst the scrolly one along the bottom moves one pixel to the right each time the screen is redrawn, so the faster it moves the more 'frames per second' are being displayed. TMJ only tries to update the screen once per second though, so this is pretty useless - its just there because I forgot to remove it!!

Cheers,
Stephen

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)