Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Suggestion For Map Organiser

Subject:Suggestion For Map Organiser 

ChrisM

14:20
Tuesday
10-Jun-2008

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

Hi Stephen,
Just been playing with Map Organiser to download a map of my local area. I've also been playing with OpenStreetMap and added a few local roads.
In order to re-download the maps when OpenStreetMap updates their server, it'd be useful if there was a way of getting Map Organiser to save the coordinates of the area I wanted to download, prehaps a way of creating custom 'Preset Locations' in the 'Generate Map From Tile Server' dialog box...?

Cheers,

Chris.

Stephen

18:13
Tuesday
10-Jun-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Chris,

Yes, this one is already on the list. I'll be releasing a few minor updates to the Map Organiser soon (ish), will try and add the saveable presets too...

Cheers,
Stephen

8:10
Wednesday
11-Jun-2008

Hi Stephen,

Have you considered putting a version of your 'to-do list' in the FAQ or maybe as a new Forum, to save idiots like me requesting things you are already working on? :-)

It'd be quite interesting to see what is forthcoming/being considered, and people could comment and make suggestions to improve the features that you are considering...??

just a thought :-)

Chris.

Stephen

8:40
Thursday
12-Jun-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hmm, I'll add your idea to the list!! Sorry, couldn't resist! ;-)

Seriously, I'll think about this, although in a way I'm a bit reluctant to fully publish planned features/ideas in case they never actually make it into the program. Thing is, once the ideas are written down in a formal way it might create higher expectations for subsequent versions, which then increases the pressure on me to add all the new ideas. Maybe I'm being too cautious, but I'll see how it goes...

Cheers,
Stephen

10:37
Thursday
12-Jun-2008

Hmm, yea, I can see what you mean, though seeing as you are effectively doing all this as a favour to your users(it's not like anyone's paying you for your efforts! - at the moment at least)

I think you'd be Ok, as long as you published it in a non-formal way, maybe something like a blog where you just publish a sort of braindump of your thoughts and ideas, rather than an more 'official' list of upcoming features...??

Cheers,

Chris.

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)