Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / waypoints synchronisation

Subject:waypoints synchronisation 

wojsyl

8:38
Sunday
4-May-2008

Hi Stephen,

Would you be able to describe how that waypoints synchronisation between the mobile and the website works ? I understand it does not propagate the deletes (which of course is better than the other way round). When I add a new waypoint to the mobile it seems to get copied to the website during the update. But then, in the past, sometimes I ended up having duplicate waypoints upon a second update. Is this something known and deterministic ? Is yes then I could know how to avoid this.

As for the deleted waypoints, the deletes do not seem to propagate either way, is that correct ?

Stephen

8:43
Wednesday
7-May-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Wojsyl,

The basic idea is that the website always holds the master list of waypoints. Each waypoint has a unique ID which can only be assigned by the website. When a waypoint is added on the phone it is stored with an empty ID.

Synchronisation has two stages. Firstly any new or altered waypoints are sent from the phone to the website where they are assigned a new ID. They are then deleted from the phone and the complete set of waypoints re-downloaded from the website.

In principle this shouldn't create duplicate waypoints, but occasionally if the synchronisation process gets interrupted (by network issues, etc) then this can happen.

There is also another bug which I only noticed recently whereby if a waypoint is manually deleted from the phone, the deletion isn't always stored correctly and when the program is restarted the waypoint reappears. I've fixed this for the next release (incidentally I've decided to shortly release an interim version with the latest bug-fixes, should be ready in a week or so).

Hope this helps...

Cheers,
Stephen

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)