Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Simple query regards track uploads

Subject:Simple query regards track uploads 

Mohnish

5:02
Sunday
4-May-2008

Hello,

Simple query: If a track is saved as a .plt file on the phone, how is it to be uploaded to the web server at a later time ?

Thanks,

Mohnish

Stephen

8:14
Wednesday
7-May-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Mohnish,

The UPLOAD/Upload PLT File link on the left hand menu can be used for this, though I'd recommend using the GPX export instead as it seems to be becoming more of a standard format.

Regards,
Stephen

Mohnish

11:16
Wednesday
7-May-2008

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your response.

But sorry, still don't get it.

I thought the UPLOAD option in the menu on left on the web site was to upload track files to the mobile device...since there is only the send option and browse takes me to a location on the pc.

On the other hand, I would presume there may be an option on the mobile devoce to upload a saved track, gpx or plt etc. to the web site ?

Could you clarify the above ?

As far as gpx go, I have become familiar with software using plt format and hence all my data is stored in plt so....would mean changing software and data etc etc....

Regards,

Mohnish

Stephen

13:03
Wednesday
7-May-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Ah, okay, I see your point...

" On the other hand, I would presume there may be an option on the mobile device to upload a saved track, gpx or plt etc. to the web site ? "

There isn't actually any way to upload an old track from the mobile itself - only the existing track and live location can be sent. Once you have saved the PLT to the memory card the only way is to connect the mobile to your PC and then upload it from there (via the UPLOAD page).

" I thought the UPLOAD option in the menu on left on the web site was to upload track files to the mobile device...since there is only the send option and browse takes me to a location on the pc. "

No, the Upload page is for adding tracks to the website itself, for viewing on a map, examining the speed/distance graphs, sharing with friends, etc. Originally (before I started writing TMJ-Mobile) the website was a 'general' portal for examining tracks created from a number of different devices, although there are now almost more options for viewing the track in TMJ-Mobile than on the website itself!

Cheers,
Stephen

Mohnish

15:48
Wednesday
7-May-2008

Hi Stephen,

Ok got it now !!! Thanks for your response.

Just a thought : If there was an option to upload a saved track file (on the mobile device) and directly upload to the web site ??? In a situation for instance where you do not have cell coverage, you could save save the track and upload when you do have the coverage. Can ofcourse, can be done with a laptop...but its one less thing to hook up!

In the current scenario, the gps user is totally dependant on cell coverage.

Just a thought !

Again, TMJ is excellent programming.

Mohnish.

Stephen

12:41
Thursday
8-May-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Mohnish,

I'll bear this in mind for a future version. It is partly possible at the moment (though only for the current track, not for saved tracks) via the Menu/Web/Send Points From Start option. If this is ticked then the entire current track will be uploaded when Enable Upload is set, even if this is done at a later time to actually recording the track. Eg, you could go on a long walk where there is no mobile signal, then on returning home Enable Upload can be used to send the recorded track to the website. Admittedly this isn't so useful if you want to clear the track after, say, each days walk.

Also, there are occasions when the mobile signal is unreliable that the phone thinks it has sent the track, but the website hasn't properly received it (or might receive each point twice, which screws up the speed/time calculations). In which case it might be useful to be able to completely resend the track. Ok, I think I've convinced myself...!

Cheers,
Stephen

Mohnish

17:06
Thursday
8-May-2008

Brain storming works !!!

Looking forward to the next version !

Cheers !

Mohnish.

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)