Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Internal GPS in Pocket PC

Subject:Internal GPS in Pocket PC 

kominicek

20:56
Sunday
27-Apr-2008

Is it possible to use internal GPS in Pocket PC (I have pocket pc Kaiser with Java J9 from IBM). I don't have options Internal GPS in Menu Settings.

Stephen

9:12
Monday
28-Apr-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi,

Which version did you select from the download page? The Generic version (which is probably most suited to the Kaiser) doesn't have the Internal GPS enabled, so you might want to try the Nokia N95 version. If that doesn't work I could e-mail you a test of the Generic version with GPS enabled. I'd be interested to see if this works (I've not had much opportunity to test TMJ on PDAs).

Regards,
Stephen

kominicek

12:17
Monday
28-Apr-2008

Hi,

I tested both, Generic version and Nokia N95 version.
Generic version seems OK , but i didn't test GPS. Nokia N95 version didn't work, java manager only showed white screen and freezed. Can you send me test generic version with GPS enabled.

Regards,
Petr

onthemap

15:23
Tuesday
29-Apr-2008

Hi,
Perhaps this is relevant...

A year ago (23-Jan-07) on the Sun Java Developer Forum
(http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=779982&messageID=4439682)
user MikeJSP said:
A big problem with J9 is that it does not support Video or any other Optional API that are supported by most smartphones (i.e. Bluetooth, Location, MMAPI).

I have tried to get running with a Mio P560 PDA using internal GPS and the free Mysaifu JVM
(http://www2s.biglobe.ne.jp/~dat/java/project/jvm/index_en.html).

It flopped, saying:
java.lang.Exception: No Main-Class attribute in \My Documents\tmj-mobile.jar
 at java.lang.VMMainThread$1.run(VMMainThread.java)
 at java.lang.VMThread.run(VMThread.java:120)
JVM exit

I have no experience with Java so don't know what this means - it looks something like a C program not having a main(). Perhaps it requires some setting within the JVM, but that's as far as I've got today.

rgds, Roger

PS: Earlier I tried the Eve VM (http://www.ewesoft.com/eve/)
but couldn't figure out how to run a .jar, and I'm not sure whether Eve has all the requisite libraries, capabilities, etc.

onthemap

17:50
Tuesday
29-Apr-2008

Further investigation on Mysaifu & Eve ...

It seems Mysaifu implements J2SE not J2ME (Java for mobile devices).
Various web forums recommend using IBM's J9 JVM for running Java midlets, rather than Mysaifu with some kind of emulator/converter.

It seems Eve does not implement a full J2ME environment.

Obtaining IBM's J9 was not easy, but eventually I got one and it is successfully running TMJ-mobile now, although TMJm is not able to access the internal GPS receiver yet - (TomTom reads it on COM3:). I used TMJm generic version .jad.

Stephen

21:16
Tuesday
29-Apr-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Roger,

I had a look myself at those Java implementations and came to the same conclusion, I think the J9 JVM is probably the only one that might have any hope!

I've sent Petr a couple of test versions that try to use the serial COM port connection, I can email it to you as well if you'd like to test it...?

Cheers,
Stephen

onthemap

22:09
Tuesday
29-Apr-2008

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for quick reply, and please do email me the test versions.

The Mobile GMaps project seems to have sorted out using internal GPS on a PDA with the J9 JVM. I used their instructions to obtain J9 and get it running TMJ-mobile generic. The Nokia N95 version of TMJm did not want to know at all.

Step 13 of the MGmaps installation describes setting an appropriate serial COM port into the MGmaps midlet
(http://www.mgmaps.com/winset/).

In Step 14 they note that J9 lacks JSR-75 support (whatever that means!), but provide a workaround.

Getting TomTom Navigator to access the internal GPS was also a bit of a struggle. It didn't like the obvious 'GPS_COM' port, but using WMobile's "External GPS" (sic) in "Settings" I assigned 'COM3' as a program port and 'COM2' worked as the hardware port.

Thanks again,
Roger

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)