Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Synchronizing waypoints by group

Subject:Synchronizing waypoints by group 

wojsyl

16:11
Thursday
28-Feb-2008

Hi,

Is it possible to synchronize the waypoint of selected waypoint groups only ?

Stephen

11:40
Friday
29-Feb-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi wojsyl,

Not currently. What purpose did you have in mind?

wojsyl

14:13
Friday
29-Feb-2008

Stephen,

I'm using TMJ mobile for geocaching. It's the best !
I've also shared it with couple of my fellow geocachers.

I would have separate groups of waypoints for different areas or countries I'm travelling to,
and then would only need to synchronize the relevant group (and actually clear the others
on my mobile). I know that I could have only one group active and the other groups
only loaded but inactive but the large number of waypoints slow things down.

But in fact I only asked as I though it might be useful if available, but I'm not sure how much.

Now, when I have more memory on the mobile I don't have the problems that I experienced
on my K600i in the past any more.

BTW I've noticed that when I synchronize twice, some of my waypoints get doubled
(in the phone and some on the site). Is this something you are aware of ?

Stephen

16:24
Friday
29-Feb-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Yeah, there are a few issues with the synchronising that aren't resolved yet. I'm not sure if the waypoint doubling is a bug as such, or a side-effect of the synchonisation method that I've used, will need to investigate!

I'll think about adding some way of part-synchronising the waypoints. When you say 'large number of waypoints', how many roughly are you trying to load?

wojsyl

19:52
Friday
29-Feb-2008

I've been using several hundred so far but now, with the waypoint groups :-) I think I could use several thousand.

Stephen

12:11
Sunday
2-Mar-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Heres an idea, not fully thought through yet, but a possibility of adding it in the future...

How about if there was a 'special' waypoint group on the website into which you could add a large number of waypoints (potentially 1000s, as long as I can afford the server space!). Then whenever you synchronise these waypoints to the phone, the website could select just the closest 50 or so points (based on your current location) and send these to the phone, thereby avoiding the memory issues of storing loads of unnecessary points on the phone.

Any thoughts?

wojsyl

13:32
Sunday
2-Mar-2008

Give me some time on this one please.

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)