Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / custom maps don't display?

Subject:custom maps don't display? 

mleefiend

18:00
Thursday
25-Oct-2007

I've created maps by using gMapMaker (downloading Google Map tiles based on lat/long) and then TMJ Map Organiser. Saved the maps onto my Blackberry Curve (8320) and tried loading them up but they aren't displaying.

I know custom maps work because I downloaded the NASA world map on the download maps page and that displays properly with my current location centered.

Anyone know what the problem could be? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Stephen

20:06
Thursday
25-Oct-2007

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi mleefiend,

- First thing is to check that you've entered the Lat/Long coordinates correctly - the Min/Max labels can be confusing, the four boxes should really be labelled Bottom,Top,Left,Right rather than MinLat/MaxLat/MinLng/MaxLng. Check especially that the Latitudes are the right way round. (I've changed these labels for the next version of the Map Organiser)

- Sometimes when loading a new map you may need to press the */# keys to get TMJ-Mobile to reload the map properly.

- The Map Organiser works best with 8-bit PNG files. It might be better to reduce the 24-bit output from gMapMaker to 8-bit using a separate program, eg Irfanview, rather than using the 'Dither to 8-bit' option (this doesnt appear to give good results).

- Your BlackBerry screen resolution is 320x240 so you should use a tile size (labelled Width/Height) of at least this. The default of 320x320 should be fine.

How big is the file that you have created? If you want to e-mail it to me off-list I'll have a look at it...

Regards,
Stephen

mleefiend

19:49
Friday
26-Oct-2007

My mistake. Got it to work. Figured out that gMapMaker uses top-left and bottom-right coordinates while Map Organiser uses top-right bottom-left!

The only problem I'm having now and that you've mentioned on the site is that using Google maps the coordinates are off. Where can I get proper maps from?

Stephen

20:02
Friday
26-Oct-2007

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Glad it works!

Cooincidentally I'm working on the Map Organiser at the moment to add an option to convert a map from the Mercator projection (as used by Google, Microsoft, etc) into the Rectangular projection needed by TMJ-Mobile. I hope to have it ready in the next few days - bear with me!!

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)