Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Others langauge in waypoint names

Subject:Others langauge in waypoint names 

TDHster

18:29
Friday
2-Mar-2007

Did you planing to realize this suport? For names waypoints, routepoints etc. in local languages other from english. Localized phones have ability to enter text in this locales, maybe utf? I don't know. But tmj seem to be store simbols in first of 128 ascii.

Stephen

11:39
Sunday
4-Mar-2007

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

I've been looking into this. Currently when you add a waypoint on the phone you should be able to enter any characters in the name. However, when the program is exited/restarted the text is stored internally in ISO8859 format (similar to ascii), so some characters will become corrupted. I've changed this for the next version - it should now try to store all text in UTF8 format. However, not all phones necessarily support utf (the J2ME spec only defines ISO8859 as a requirement), so it might not work for everyone.

The file import/export currently only supports ISO8859. I probably won't change this for the moment, but do you know whether OziExplorer supports UTF/unicode?

Note also that the TrackMyJourney website stores data in the ISO8859 format, so if you add any waypoints via the website then you should just use standard characters. I guess I need to look into this further at some point - it seems to be quite a complex issue! Does anyone else have any thoughts on this - is ISO8859 too restrictive for many other languages?

TDHster

13:32
Tuesday
6-Mar-2007

My Ozi when save in local language use system codepage now (cp1251) and I don't found about utf. Will try later more.

ISO8859 will restrictive for other languages then English ;) You can look on number of languages for that phone have been localized. But in other side they usualy get accustomed for english ;)

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)